New
Find
Notify
Tools

LOOSE BASE SCREWS??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an 11/87 SP. I had a gunsmith drill and tap the receiver for a leupold base. I have had nothing but trouble keeping the base screws tight. The two front holes are drilled and tapped through the receiver and into the barrel shroud, and these are the most troublesome. Could I be getting movement from the barrel? Could this be the problem? Really could use some advice. Thanks, Smoker1

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 868 | Location: NYS | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
most remingtons are thin along the top of the receiver not much meat for the threads.
the rem express is a lot thicker and can be drilled and tapped for scope.
Remington came out with a cantilevr barrel that works for mounting scopes, with long eye relief. the red dots work best for me.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First remove the screws and throughly clean the threads on the screws and the threads in the receiver with alcohol moistened pipe cleaners and then blow them clean and dry with compressed air.

When you reassemble them place a very tiny [!] amount of good high viscosity oil on the threads and torque them to 10 to 15 inch pounds or so.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info folks. Appreciate it. This is the third iteration of the loose screw syndrom. I have used a mild Loctite thread locker, which came loose. This time I'm using a very high strength loctite. I disassembled the barrel and found a very light burr on top of the threaded holes, which I filed smooth. Then used brake cleaner on all the surfaces paying strict attention to the threaded holes both in the receiver and the barrel. It's been 24 hours for a good cure and if the weather here will permit I'll go out today. Smoker1

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Through the receiver and into the barrel shroud...." Are you kidding? What in the hell was the man thinking?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Must have worked...last two went into ~2" @100. Happy with that. Smoker1

--Thomas Jefferson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why not just use shorter screws?

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote