New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mod 70 front sight
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A future project is to make a new stock for my pre-64 featherweight, and I'd like to be rid of the front sight at the same time. I can't be sure, but it looks like it's soldered on, but before I put the torch to it I'd like to verify this.

Any free advice?

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 280 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It may have been silver soldered in place. Have you thought about cutting the barrel off behind the sight and recrowning it?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
it's 22 now, so I don't want it any shorter. Otherwise it's a good idea- thanks.

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 280 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All pre64 Fwt ramps are soldered on.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1618 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Airgun- that's what I was looking fer

jmbn
Old and in the way

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Why do want to do either of these thngs? Don't those rifles have collector's value beyond the action?

Posts: 5087 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
probably so, but the stock has been bubba'd up already, which is a future project for restocking. I use it every year for javelina and sometimes for coyotes, so I might as well make it like I like it, and I really don't like front sights. I don't care about value, at least to a point.

jmbn
Old and in the way