New
Find
Notify
Tools

proper way to tighten a barrel?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello i'm putting a jc higgins mod 31 back together after years of being apart.I'm wondering what is the proper way to tighten the barrel as im not sure what tool to use and don't want to leave marks.Your help is appreciated very much thnx

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take it to a gunsmith with a barrel vise and barrel wrench....not a costly operation and it will need to be headspaced so you don't blow yourself up....

Posts: 42155 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TBear, you don't want to buy this just to reassemble the rifle. The smith will put the barrel in a barrel vise, screw on the action and then use an action wrench to tighten it up. He will check the headspace as Ray said and all those tools and gauges are not cheap.

Ray, are you going to SCI this year?

[ 01-18-2003, 06:21: Message edited by: Customstox ]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok that was basically what i was looking for as far as the tools.I can make just about anything needed i have the gauges already.I'll just make a barrel vise.I appreciate the responses

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote