THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    Choice of Recoil Pad that Will Maintain its Shape

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Choice of Recoil Pad that Will Maintain its Shape
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of South Pender
posted
I have a high-grade rifle in excellent condition on which I'd like to change the recoil pad. It currently has an ugly European Wegu ventilated pad. I'd like to replace this with a red non-ventilated pad to simulate those on the English best rifles of the past. I want to make sure it won't deform and go out-of-shape when standing the rifle on its butt on a hard surface over long periods of time (as some pads do).

The most obvious choice appearance-wise at the moment seems to be the Pachmayr Decelerator Old English pad, but I'd be interested in knowing how well they retain their shape when the gun is stored over time on its butt against a hard surface. The original Silvers pads were/are very hard, with no give, but would undoubtedly keep their shape over time. New England Custom Guns have one as well that might work.

What would you all recommend for a pad that will look good, but most importantly, won't deform and lose its shape over time?

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
- Bertrand Russell

Posts: 166 | Location: Vancouver, BC Canada | Registered: 17 April 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Our shop has used the Pachmayer pad for a number or years without incident. All pads will eventually fail. Store the gun in a case or muzzle down to maximize life.

Posts: 3780 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, I only use Pachmayr decelerator and standard pads. I guarantee they won't deform for 75 years, after which time you might not care any more.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I purchased a new Miroku O/U Sporter shotgun in 1984 which has a Pachmayr (Miroku branded) ventilated pad fitted. Through all the years of trapshooting, gamebird shooting and safe storage the gun has been through the pad does not show any signs of deterioration, the rubber still flexible with no hint of stickiness. Very nice figured walnut for the G1 stock and often thought a red Pachmayr Old English Decelerator would look nice but shame to replace the Miroku Pachmayr pad.

Posts: 3909 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, I would never use a ventilated pad on anything. They look like crap. Solid only.
Replace it.

Posts: 17278 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For the proper look, you m ight consider the pads available from Galazan

The "corret period: they offer seem to hold up very well..many I insalled 10 plus years ago and no mishaping or obious deteroration.

The plus is the knib that really looks plumb swell on a high grade rifle.

Posts: 3615 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of South Pender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
For the proper look, you m ight consider the pads available from Galazan

The "corret period: they offer seem to hold up very well..many I insalled 10 plus years ago and no mishaping or obious deteroration.

The plus is the knib that really looks plumb swell on a high grade rifle.

Yes, I looked at the Galazan pads and wanted to get one, but couldn't complete my purchase. It appears that they don't ship outside the USA. I'm in Canada.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
- Bertrand Russell

Posts: 166 | Location: Vancouver, BC Canada | Registered: 17 April 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
THE GALAZAN PAD FIRST AND FOREMOST..ANY BUTT PAD SHOULD HAVE A NIB, ESPECIALLY METAL EXTENSIONS.

I HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH THE HARD SILVERS PAD, BUT ROUND OUT THE EDGES A TAD, AND THEY ARE BEST FOR LEATHER COVER IMO.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote