Find
Notify
Tools

Stock painting
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Rayderluvr
posted
I am looking at purchasing a Stevens 200 rifle, but hate the looks of the stock. I was thinking of painting it camo or ???? if possible. Does anyone have any recomendations on how to prep so the paint will stick?
Thanks!

You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose.....but you can't pick your friends nose!

Posts: 72 | Location: SW Misssouri | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is nothing special about a rifle stock when it comes to painting. Follow the surface prep instructions on whatever paint you choose to use and you should be fine. Obviously, you will need a clean dry surface with all oil and grease removed, just like anything else you would be expecting paint to adhere to.

Brownell’s sells spray on paints in camo colors as well as your standard black and they come with full instructions.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rayderluvr
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose.....but you can't pick your friends nose!

Posts: 72 | Location: SW Misssouri | Registered: 02 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
waveJust finished painting my Stevens 200 two weeks ago. Removed all of the plastic weld lines by scraping, filing and sanding. The same with all off the plastic tites around the checkering. Camoed it with acrylic paint and the wife than painted a cougar in snow scene on one side and a brown bear in vegetation scene on the other side. Finished it off with four coats of quality spray uretehane. thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How About Pictures!

Craftsman

Posts: 1546 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Ray,

Here's how I paint some stocks:

Sand it down well trying to keep a rough feel to it.

Clean all of the dust off.

Prime it w/ a quality primer and let it dry. Re-apply for about 4 coats. I use grey.

Then I print off 8.5x11 pictures of a camo of my choice from the internet. take an exacto knife and cut out part of the pattern. Say for instance cut out the bark lines on one sheet and the leaves on another sheet.

I take matte black a paint shadows on the stock similar to the shadows in the back ground of mossy oak break-up.

Then when dry I place my bark strencils down and spray them w/ black paint until the entire stock has a bark pattern.

Once dry, I place my leave stencils on the stock and spray w/ varing colors like tan, brown, olive, etc.

You may also want to place some stick stencils on it as well.

Once the desired pattern is achieved spray a good coat of matte clear coat on and let dry. Then re-apply until about 4 coats are acheived.

It makes for great camo on my turkey guns or rifle stocks.

Another neat look is to just use Olive or Grey as the primer and use the Bark stencil w/ black paint and a matte clear coat. It makes for a different type of look.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote