New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester 70 and Mauser 98
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need someone to explain the statements made by various makers of rifle actions.
What does it mean when Montana Rifle, Dakota Arms and Kimber state that their actions are a combination of the best Model 70 and Mauser 98 features?
Thanks,
Scott

Posts: 34 | Location: detroit, michigan | Registered: 01 February 2003Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
Generally speaking, the best features of the Model 70 are thought to be the 3 position safety, and the trigger. Generally speaking, the best features of the Model 98 are thought to be controlled round feeding (also on pre-64 and Classic Model 70s) and the non coned breach (you don't have to make an extractor cut in the barrel). I am sure there are more, but those are the main features.

Blue

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Well, for me that would mean the control round feeding of the Mauser design that is used in the Model 70 and others. The 3 position Model 70 safety and the model 70 trigger.

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It usually means that all of the model 98 features were too difficult to duplicate, so they used model 70 features instead.

The self-locking extractor and left side bolt safety are two primary 98 features that get left off of the model 70 and its copies.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Who said third bolt lug and unbeatable gas handling by virtue of inbuilt design and not some cruddy little thingy.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

It usually means that all of the model 98 features were too difficult to duplicate, so they used model 70 features instead.

That made me laugh!
I used to buy guns just to take them apart to look at the design, clean them, fix them, see if I could blow them up with overloads, and put them in storage.

When I got a 1903 Turkish Mauser and took it appart, I stayed up all night looking at the parts. I had never seen such a good design before.

I can still only figure out what the reason for half of the things I see in a '98 Mauser.

Maybe only the understood features of a Mauser get copiedSmiler

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote