New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lightweight, stiff syn. Savage stock?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm trying to find a light and well built stock for a Savage 116 to be made into a rough and tumble 375 Taylor. Something on the order of of a Bansner High Tech (unfortunately not made for the Savage...). I checked Brown also. The B & C's appear (published specs) heavy though I've never owned one. Any suggestions? Thanks guys.

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
snow pop over to savage shooters and talk with those guys,,, Fred at SSS may have some thing

Stay Alert,Stay Alive
Niet geschoten is altijd mis

Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Rick-
Do you know a weight on these--Brownell's doesn't list. Looks like a more open grip than the B&C's. I searched Savage Shooter's stocks forum without specific luck. SSS doesn't currently list stocks.

Jay Kolbe

Posts: 767 | Location: Seeley Lake Montana | Registered: 17 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snowcat:

Is your Savage 116 the old model with the box magazine on the side or is it the new model with the box magazine release in front?

If yours is the new model you are shit out of luck on anything but a factory stock.The screw holes are different. As is the floor plate.

Youn might try Jim Briggs at Northlander. He has many Savages. He has a banner on Savage Shooters website. He is a very nice guy t deal with.

Good luck.
Longshot

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowcat:
Hey Rick-
Do you know a weight on these--Brownell's doesn't list. Looks like a more open grip than the B&C's. I searched Savage Shooter's stocks forum without specific luck. SSS doesn't currently list stocks.

Don’t know, but I would bet you could call Brownells in the morning and ask them.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
sniper country PX has them.

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have personally had good success with the MPI stocks. Light and strong, but decidedly NOT drop-ins.

http://www.mpistocks.com/

Clemson

NRA Endowment Member
US Army Veteran
CWP Holder
Gunsmith

Posts: 338 | Location: Greenwood, SC | Registered: 06 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Check with Kevin Rayhill at Stockade stocks. He's a top notch fellow to deal with, and might be able to modify one of his standard stocks to suit your needs.

http://lockstock.com/prodinfo.asp?number=STOHP
308-432-5114

I have one of his heavier stocks, and very pleased. HTH, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I second Kevin Rayhill. Did a stock for my Savage 300win and I liked his work so well I sent the rifle to him for a tune up. Great work Great guy.

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a million guys. Looks like its either the MPI or the Srockade. I'm leaning toward the MPI as they offer a 16 oz. version. Thanks again.

Jay Kolbe