THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plastic Stock for a 96 Mauser - Best value?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Years ago I bought one of the sporterized M96's that Kimber was selling. I got it in 6.5x55 so it has the original military barrel, they left the first step and turned down the rest, cut it down to 20".

It came with a Ramline plastic stock and I could get it to shoot about 2" groups @100yds.

I decided to bed the action but tonight when I took off the stock I see that it's going to be near impossible, the stock is too shallow to allow the magazine/triggerguard assembly to seat properly, the action rocks of the recoil lug, it's a mess.

Anyway, what's the best bang for the buck in plastic stocks, can I get somethinmg decent for $100? This is a back-up, loaner gun, don't care too much about looks but would like to get it to fit correctly in a stock.

Thanks, Rob

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Hogue

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hogue was my first choice Doug, but unfortunately they don't do a 96.

Rob

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Sorry. You're right. I was thinking 98.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bell and Carlson makes two different synthetic‘s and Brownells has a wood laminate for 96’s.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw the B&C's, more than I wanted to spend but I may have to go that route eventually.

I called Ramline today and they said they had changed their 96 stock andwud m a new one to see if it fits better,

Good Cust. Serv., I hope it works out.

r

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you like the B&C stock, Cabela's has them for $145 everyday, and they have been on sale for ~$ 120 from time to time. I put one on a 96 last year, the pistol grip was a bit thick for my taste, but it is a decent stock for that price. That one in 6.5 made a nice quick truck gun, easily under 1 1/2 inches with issue sites and factory ammo.

Roger

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a BC on my 96. Had to route out the trigger area for the Timmney trigger I have on it and I also put in a pillar. Shoots under an inch all day (IF I do my part). Nice stock. Like RogerR said, check out cabela's

Posts: 253 | Location: Texas by way of NC, Indiana, Ark, LA, OKLA | Registered: 23 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did you guys use the B&C's straight from the box or did you glass bed them?

Rob

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My habit is to mount the action and shoot it as it comes. If I am satisfied with the results and the barrel channel is fairly presentable, I see little value in bedding. If it does not, I bed it. I usually end up bedding composite stocks. (often for cosmetic reasons)

I learned to fit stocks before composites or bedding were in common use, so I often will bed just the recoil lug on a wood stock.

Roger

Posts: 254 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote