New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 760 Disassembly?
 Login/Join

<armjr>
posted
So I see the add in "Shotgun News" .308 Win bbls for Rem 760's. gotta have one - Right? Click the button on GunParts and give em my #. It's on it's way. I go out and dig the 760 out of the back of the safe(it's a 270 right now) and pull "Sporting Arms Disassembly etc" off the shelf and turn to the appropriate page. Just take the screw out and then turn the slide tube with a punch and "Vwa-La" off she comes. Uh-Uh, not on mine. There is no screw holding the forend on and the slide tube will not turn, either way, despite the fact that it has the holes just like they said. Does anyone know the secret handshake to get this sucker off.

Why do I do these things? It's not like it gets boring around here or anything!

Alan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Armjr

You probably have one of the older 760s without the front screw.

Just remove the magazine, make sure the chamber is empty, push the forend back to expose the action bar and insert a strong (heat treated) rod and unscrew counter clockwise. If it does not turn get a good penetrating oil (Kroil is good) and apply where the action tube meets the barrel bracket. Let it soak for several hours and try again. If it doesnt turn loose you might have to get the help of an experienced gunsmith.

Also it is very important that once you switch barrels that an experienced gunsmith check the headspace. Do not fire the rifle with out the headspace being checked!

Posts: 1539 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
<armjr>
posted
Thanks, I will try as decribed above. I do understand headspace but thanks for the warning any way. It can't be repeated enough.

Alan

<armjr>
posted
It worked but I had to want it to come loose very badly. Stopped the end of the punch from marring the barrel with my left index finger. Ready for the new barrel to arrive, may have to wait a bit longer for the finger. Thanks again.

Alan

<armjr>
posted
Shot great, fed fine, very impressive muzzel blast! 18 1/2" bbl.

Alan

one of us
posted Hide Post
COOL!

Posts: 1539 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote