New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sons "Project" Gun
 Login/Join

<Bruz>
posted
My son is looking at buying his first pistol...he of course wants the biggest and best, but being in school can not afford that. I was thinking it would be good if he could get a "starter" gun that he can shoot now, and add to it as he gets money. Kinda show him the value of things, give him pride in a gun he "built" himself, plus be a good thing we can do together. I am not a machinist or gun smith, and have never built a gun, but am fairly handy and catch on quick when getting advise from experts like on this forum...

Question is, what auto should I get him? Obviously it needs to be safe and legal for Kalifornia, but other than that I am lost. Are there kits available? Is there a type of gun that is easier to work with? (I could do everything necessary to keep my old 58 Ford going, even rebuilt the engine, but cannot even change the oil in my new car!). Any info, links, or leads appreciated!

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
If he is looking for an auto pistol to build up and tinker with, I think a model 1911 would be the way to go. First buy or check out from the library (they can get them through inter-library loan) Jerry Kuhnhausens books on the Colt 1911, then figure out what you would be comfortable doing. The is a lot of hand fitting you can do with parts that take more time and patience than heavy machinery. For a "kit" that would be my suggestion. I'll post tomorrow (oops well it is 4 am so I guess technically it IS tomorrow!) some links that offer slide and frame sets.

For a single shot pistol I think the TC Contender is the best way to go first time around.

The main thing is both of you have fun and have some good memories together!

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
<Bruz>
posted
Thanks Mark, that was the kind of info I was looking for...I should of mentioned that my son has been shooting my guns so he is not a novice, he just wants to have his own. I know everyone has a 1911, can not believe I have not got one yet. Appreciate any links on info you mentioned, I think I will start looking for a "deal" on a 1911! Thanks again.

<G.Malmborg>
posted
Bruz,

1911's are to pistols, what Remington is to rifles. These are probably the two most popular weapons designs ever (okay, include Mauser). You can damn near trip on a sidewalk and land on parts and accessories for these. There are more bolt on goodies for the 1911 than there is for Chevy's.

These are the easiest handguns to build into something and when your sons finished, he'll have an excellent, serviceable weapon that should last him forever.

Surf <www.brownells.com> for books and accessories for these weapons.

Good luck,

Malm

P.S. When looking for brands of pistols to build upon, don't overlook the standard Springfield 1911, these are superb, priced right and tough to beat...