Find
Notify
Tools

Origin of the Mannlicher stock?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This came up in a discussion elswhere.

It's my understanding, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, that the full stocked gun style was originally designed so there would be more meat to grab at the muzzle end if the rifle had to be used as a staff for climbing or traversing rough terrain.

Can anyone provide any documentation along these lines or is it just a stylistic touch?

Also, what about stocks with a Shnabel in the middle of the forend, also another place to hold on to? I realize that currently they are more stylistic devices than functional but most things like this have their origins in practical usage.

Posts: 1682 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll try to post more info later, but the first "stutzens" were Austrian and German cavalry carbines used during the late 1800's. The full stocks protected the barrel while being knocked around on horseback or working around artillery pieces.

The first two rifles on this link are good examples: http://www.collectiblefirearms.com/RiflesMannlicher.html

When Mannlicher-Shoenauer began making similar hunting rifles, they incorporated the full length stock to protect the barrel while being knocked around on mountain rocks.

While I'm sure many such rifles got used as walking sticks (I've seen many that looked that way), European hunters tend to cherish their rifles, rather than abuse them.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An 1871 Prussian cavalry carbine in 11x60R , made in 1876. One of the earliest known examples of a Mannlicher style stock on a cartridge rifle. Note the peaked underside of the forend tip.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like the Mannlicher stocks with the forend schnable - easy to overlook, but once you notice it very eyecatching. I have a Steyr 1912 receiver with a 19" 7x57 barrel standing here, waiting for a Mannlicher style stock. A gentleman on the Medium Bore forum recently posted a 35 Whelen with a rather long barrel, stocked in this style. I have observed that many of the older rifles stocked like this had fairly long barrels, vs. the short barrelled Mannlichers around today. Personally I like the long barrelled ones.

I don't know the origin, but every time I hear or see the word I start snickering about the "ManLicker" stocked rifle that was constantly on GunBroker.com about a year ago...

Posts: 341 | Location: MI | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steven for the info, I realize that the full stock, Schnabel type forend has been around a long time. I was never trying to assign a date to it, I was just wondering why it started in the first place.

Seems like there would be a practical reason and as Kurt suggested, protection of the barrel seems logical for a full length stock.

The Schnabel on the other hand may have been a stylistic device or may not. I'm curious as the the earliest stock you've seen with a Schnabel?

Thanks, Rob

Posts: 1682 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
I don't own a rifle with a full length stock, however it would seem that today the extra stock length would add balance to a short barrel eg: 20". ??

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote