Notify
Tools

Jack Belk Information
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted
Jack

On the Big Bore Thread concerning Model 70s, you made a suggestion that someone glass bed their rifle in their old stock and than send it to someone to have a duplicate stock made.

Questions;

Why do you need to glass bed the original stock?

If you do, do you bed it full length and fill in the 'empty spaces' in the action?

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gator
You should always fully glassbed a stock that is to be used for a pattern or have the stock duplicater person glass is even better...

If I were going to spend the buck having a stock turned it would be on a classic pattern and certainly not the factory pattern....

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Gator 1---

A semi-inletted stock is no better than the pattern it was made from. A stock is only as good as it's inletting. So the pattern is always glassed with the customer's metal work when duplicated by a first class semi supplier. The mass market stocks are only approximation of the action being used. The first rate cutters make a stock from a pattern made for the job.

one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
Ray, Jack:

Thank you for the input. I have a Pre-war Marholt (1935) in 300 H&H (marked 30 Super). It has the original Germanic type stock but very plain wood and 2 inches short. I want to restock it with a very nice piece of wood that I picked up about 20 years ago but to the proper length.

As I understand your suggestion it would be to send the rifle and everything to someone to duplicate the stock and have him bed it prior.

Any suggestions?

Thank you again.

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Give Mike Kokolus a call at 610-298-3013. I use him exclusively for all my patterns.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Thank you.