New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt New Service 1917 Revolver Re-Blueing Cost
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've never had a handgun re-blued. This revolver has an almost worn-off parkerized finish. I would like a "polished" blued finish. What can a person expect to pay for this kind of work. Thanks in advance for your input.

Posts: 245 | Location: The Show Me State | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
depends on the quality of work that you want. som e smiths will sand blast it or bead blast it and blue your gun for you, and that doesn't take much time. If you want a first rate hand polish you will be paying for many hours of hand detail work, plus the cost of disassembly, reassembly, and function testing.

Joe

Posts: 61 | Location: Big Timber Mt. / Campbell NY | Registered: 27 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Google; Gun bluing service. Cost between
$100 and $300

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's some pricing:

http://www.hotflashrefinishing.com/handguns.htm

This outfit does very nice work.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
It's your gun, but I would urge you to have it looked at by a collector of Colt revolvers (or U.S. martial arms if it is a Model 1917), before you make a decision to have it refinished. There are many details that could make it more valuable as is and you could then sell it and buy something new.

I have one each Colt and S&W M1917 in my collection and they are near the top of my favorites list. Refinishing a collectable detracts dramatically from its value.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whatever you pay is lost twice. First in paying for the job and second in reduction in the value of the gun.
If a worn 1917 is worth $800 a reblued one is worth about $300.
Turnbull is an exception.

Defeating legislation through education.
There is no safe direction to point an unsafe gun.

Posts: 90 | Location: Remote Idaho, USA | Registered: 09 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everybody's input is appreciated. I'll have an expert review/appraise it. The metal looks quite good. The parkerized finish looks like garbage. I fully understand the drop in value by re-blueing, but this darn thing is uglier than an AMC Gremlin painted purple. There's no question, this revolver was a "mans revolver". It ain't for sissies.

Posts: 245 | Location: The Show Me State | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Belk:
Whatever you pay is lost twice. First in paying for the job and second in reduction in the value of the gun.
If a worn 1917 is worth $800 a reblued one is worth about $300.
Turnbull is an exception.

bsflag

Turnbull or not, it's still a reblue.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My point is that a 'Restoration' is not priced in the marketplace like a 'Reblue'. You can see that anytime, anywhere.

Defeating legislation through education.
There is no safe direction to point an unsafe gun.

Posts: 90 | Location: Remote Idaho, USA | Registered: 09 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with craigster on this one. Turnbull does fantastic work, but I consider him as making a ordinary gun an heirloom, to be kept. As good as the work is, I don't think you will ever recoup the cost of the gun plus the restoration if it is sold. Very much like custom rifles, very few sell for more, or even the same, as they cost to make.

Posts: 121 | Location: on the road | Registered: 01 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I also heard that re-blued firearms can fire without anyone pulling the trigger! Smiler

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4861 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

Posts: 121 | Location: on the road | Registered: 01 October 2009Reply With Quote