New
Find
Notify
Tools

Modifying the FN-FAL for M1A magazines
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Can the FN-FAL rifle be modified to accept M14 magazines/clips?

Nothing wrong with the FN magazine, but the M14 mags are cheaper and more readily available.

Thanks,
Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to know where you are getting your M14 mags. Cheap ones are $13 and in my experience they are crap. Decent ones run 22-40 dollars. FAL mags can be bought for $8-9 and up. I just don't see any advantage. Any cost for conversion could simply be applied to buying FAL mags.

Thaine
"Begging hands and bleeding hearts will always cry out for more..." Ayn Rand

"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here, we might as well dance" Jeanne C. Stein

Posts: 730 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 02 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
With a FAL, a machine shop, and an experience FAL gunsmith, just about anything is possible. These rifles are so heavily customized, that yes you can probably can convert them to work with M14 magazines.

However, all the FN magazines I that I've seen costed a few dollars less than any of the M14 mags I've run across. I would encourage you to do a little more research before spending any money on a conversion. FN mags may prove to be the most cost effective route.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto, I've never saw decent m14 mags cheap, and I've seen them for up to $40 for unissued condition. FN FAL mags a cheap, last I checked. That is why bushmaster AR-10's were set up for fal mags instead of AR-10 or m14 mags. Cope's dist. currently has "good condition" FAL mags for $5.99 they want $14.99 for M14 mags from taiwan.

Posts: 226 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote