Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 70 Classic
 Login/Join

posted
I have a Model 70 Classic, S/N G184068. Action was converted to a 375 H&H, from 30-06. Is this the proper sized action for this application or is a magnum action required.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking at my Winchester catologs from that era it appears that all of the classic actions in that serial number range are the same size and any differences have to do with the opening for the magazine box as well as how the rails are situated.

(that serial number is a relatively early Classic Action)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The action lengths between a standard long action Model 70 Classic and a Model 70 Classic Express action are the same (ie: the action screws are the same distance apart).

There are differences, however. The Express action ejection/loading port is relieved in the rear, so the port is thus longer. This results in the .330" rear screw spacing for the rear scope mount in the Express actions. Also, the spacer in the magazine well, present in standard long actions is eliminated in the Express action, which then requires a different magazine follower. This also then requires the bolt to move further to the rear, which requires appropriate changes to the ejector and bolt stop.

I am not a gunsmith, but apparently conversions such as yours, do not require the loading port to be relieved, as the factory jobs are, and they will work just fine. The other modifications necessary are simple for a gunsmith to deal with.

Hope this helps! Smiler

Posts: 273 | Location: Dakota | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the input from both parties. I am having a feed issue caused by the the back of the cartridge contacting the ejector, # 2 shell will not feed consistently, not the best plan for a rifle slated for Africa. From what I read the issue is with the magazine box. Maybe incorrect item, or at a minimum the ejector needs to be modified. Any additional help will be greatly appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
mudstud covered it pretty well. I did a similar conversion on a push feed mod.70 300 win. mag. in order to seat the bullets out farther. With the push feed I did not have to worry about the blade type ejector. I found that the loading/ejection port worked ok when ejecting a fired case, but did not have enough relief to eject a loaded round. In the event of a misfire this could cause some serious problems in a dangerous game rifle. Just something else you might want to check out.

Hey, hold my beer and watch this!

Posts: 49 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote