Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kimber of Oregon
 Login/Join

posted
Posted this on another forum w/ 1 reply that suggested I should post here so...

I'm trying to get info about my Kimber of Oregon rifle. Specifically I'm interested in who made their barrels and how they were rifled, ie cut, button etc., Also trying to find web site and/or books about these fine rifles.

Any and all info appreciated.

Hopsing

Posts: 14 | Location: DFW | Registered: 16 January 2003Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Hopsing---

Kimber of Oregon used mostly button-rifled Wilson barrels. Some were good, some were bad, all were very cheap.

I don't know of a book on the Kimber yet but there's a gaping hole there to be filled. K of O guns are some of the best ever made in this country and had so many variations it's sure to keep somebody busy for years trying to track them down and see examples.

For instance-- A customer of mine ordered for rifles for his twin sons.....one twin was right handed and one left handed. Kimber numbered them with a serial number that incorporated their birthday, calibers and an R and L suffixes. It made a great set of guns.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Attn JB, What is your opinion on the M89 BGR I have one in 30-06 Ser# 3058. It has given me a fair amount of grief as it will only reliably fire neck sized handloads. Otherwise a beautifully ballanced unit that has taken two moose an elk and 5 deer.

BR

Posts: 174 | Location: ,Alberta ,Canada | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Battle River---

The M-89 is to Kimber of Oregon what the commemorative M-94s were to Winchester.....much cheaper and more crudely made in an attempt to keep the company afloat. The difference is that the M-94 was much more a piece of junk but it worked. The M-89 didn't. It's a shame.

Some of the M-89s were pretty nice rifles, others are much less satisfactory. They're worth rebuilding, rebarreling, or whatever it takes to finish up the details Kimber didn't have time to do.

posted Hide Post
All were cheap, huh? I've gotta M84 Custom Classic in triple duece I got a good deal on a few years back that I am enamored with. I always wanted a Kimber but never thought I could afford one. (Married w/young children, you know the deal) Anyway, it shoots, handles,and looks like a dream, but I've been hearing some disparaging things about late Kimbers (bad QC) so I'm just trying to track down more info.

BTW my s/n is 2 letters followed by 87. Would that be date of manufacture??

Thanks,

Hopsing

<JBelk>
posted
Hopsing---

I went back and re-read that answer. It came across wrong.

The M-89 that I've seen had several small but noticeble "slips" in QC and shortcuts that were not a part of other Kimber guns.

The early Kimbers were custom rifles made in batches, much like Dakotas today. Serial numbers could be ordered as a $$ added extra along with quarter ribs, inletted sling swivels and skeleton furniture and more opitions and gingerbread to pry money out of *anybody* with a speck of gun culture in their system.

The M-84 with 3 position safety was, to me, Kimber's crowning glory. It was a long extractor, staggered box with hinged floorplate, dual front lug, round bottomed, mini-Mauser available in about everything that can be made on the Remington duece-based cases.

It was a little inartful in places and could use some help on shape, but mechanically it was a gem.

The M-89 was on the drawing boards as early as 1985. I got a look at some sketches and descriptions about then.

The DGR-89 came out a good bit different than the early plans. Money had become short and the bean counters built a cost box that the gun had to fit in. It was a lesser gun that fit in that box, but the price was the same. *THATS* the shame I was referring to but didn't give enough context for it to sound right.

Does that help?

posted Hide Post
Yeah, that helps some. As you said, there is a BIG hole to br filled with K of O. I have searched for a while for ANY info I can find, and frankly, there isn't much more than old magazine articles. I really don't know as much chronology concerning the various models as I would like. Any dealers at the gun shows do not care to discuss this w/me. (and I'm in sales...I can get in a conversation with a fence post)

Anywho, you seem the most knowledgeable i've discussed with so far.

While we're on the subject, my M84 has the 2 position "silent" safety. What's the story w/this??

Hopsing

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
JBelk,

I have a Kimber M89 BGR in .375 H&H (ser is DG 4353 if that helps); I bought it new in '94. This rifle does not have iron sights, and uses "regular" bases & rings.

It shoots well, with the best 3-shot groups in .5". I have been thinking about re-barreling to a larger bore cartridge.

What fixes do you recommend for these rifles? I realize specific rifles may need more or less, but generally what needs fixing as you said above?

jim dodd

[ 01-18-2003, 02:08: Message edited by: HunterJim ]

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote