Find
Notify
Tools

QD Rings for CZ 550 Magnum
 Login/Join

<Hans>
posted
Gentlemen:
I have a .416 Rigby on a CZ 550 action, I am looking for high quality QD rings for it.
I am looking to mount a 1.5x-8x Scope on the rifle. I currently fire 350gr. and 400gr. loads in the 2500 FPS. range, the rifle is 9 3/4 Lbs. empty. Thank you for your inputs
Hans

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with the 550, but here I assume it uses the same rings to fit the integral dovetails as the mighty 602 action.

I have been looking into this same question lately for rings for my BRNO .375 H&H, so allow me to tell you what I have found so far.

I have a set of the BRNO (CZ) one-piece bases with rings now. They are kind of ugly and 3 or 4 mm higher than my 2.5-8x Leupold scope demands, but they hang on to a scope with a death grip and have not slipped with loads that loosen my teeth.

Talley has made their wonderful rings for the BRNO dovetails in the past, but does not currently do so (as of Dec 2000 when I emailed them last). Email talley and add your voice to calls for them to do so!

"Talley Mfg. Inc." <talley@trib.com>

Talley rings are expensive, and worth it. I've seen them on other rifles and wish they made a set to fit the BRNO integral dovetails now. Even nicer than Conetrol (see below).

Warne makes a set of rings to fit the Brno dovetails and I've heard that they are quite good. A gunsmithing friend has put them on a .358 Norma Magnum (you there, Stefan?) and they sure looked good to me. I'm seriously considering these rings.

Millet makes rings to fit as well. I bought a pair, but I never shot the rifle with them mounted mounted because I do not think they will even hold against my "light" .375 H&H recoil. They just seem under-engineered (ok, just too damn wimpy!) for big recoil, although they are probably fine for .338 magnums and less. I returned these rings without ever using them.

Conetrol (www.conetrol.com or email@control.com) makes BRNO (CZ) bases and quick-detach rings which seem perfect. I've corresponded with the boss there, and he reports that they have sold'em for decades without problems. He seems like a straight-up guy and I beleive him. Also, I have examined many Conetrol rings and bases on other makes of rifles over the years and they are well-engineered and expertly machined. The Conetrol bases are quite small and unobtrusive. Currently, I think I'm going to go with the Conetrol bases (for extra security affixed with a blob of epoxy which will release if warmed a bit) and the horizontally-split Conetrol quick detach rings.

Hope this helps,

John P. Ball

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Pfeifer>
posted
I just bought a nice set of "Magnum" QR lever rings from Jim Wisner of Precise Metalsmithing (PM) Enterprises, (360)748-3743
146 Curtis Hill Rd #B, Chehalis, WA 98532 (jenjim@quik.com). These were for the small BRNO dovetail that I am integrating into an integral barrel rib. He makes many variations so I recommend giving him a call or dropping an email. He a great guy to work with and very knowledgeable about the BIG guns. Regards, JP