New
Find
Notify
Tools

scope base with pop-up peep
 Login/Join

<jsirm>
posted
Hello, I handled an old remington 721 (I think thats the #?) in 300 H&H that had one of these pop up sights on the rear of the mount. I would really like to find a way to use this on my win 70. who makes these currently? thanks
Ian MacIntosh

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Jim Brockman makes a pop up peep sight that fits into a Talley base - a nice set up when it's done right. Look at:
http://www.brockmansrifles.com/sight_options.html

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
I recall that Williams Gun Sight marketed something along those lines called "Ace-In-The-Hole". I'm fuzzy as to how it was set up. Perhaps you could do some research in old Gun Digests/Shooters Bibles from the 60's.

------------------
"shoot 'em if you got 'em!"

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Ian

Redfield used to make a base with a spring-loaded peep on the back; I bought one that did not fit any of my rifles just to get the peep, which can be put on the back of another mount with a little drilling and tapping.

I also replaced the leaf on the folding sight that came on my Savage 24V, just made an aluminum peep and drilled it to suit.

Tom

Posts: 14382 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Warne used to make bases with peepsight in.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm really into the peep bases. I think this is the best way to get a peep on a scoped rifle. No swiss cheesing the action and a clean barrel from the action to the front sight...

I feel the Warne QD Rear Peep Base was probably the best commercial setup. The sight elevation adjustment screw often needed trimming to fit under the scope. Scope off the gun in 15 seconds and a well sighted shot follows. Unfortunately, no longer made. I understand it cost Warne about $50 -$60 to mill one and they sold slowly at $80 retail...

I've looked at the Brockman setup on his website. I thought a spring loaded peep might not stay zeroed- but, if Brockman is making it, I have confidence it'll work right. I like his designs, modifications and ideas. He's into the iron sights as serious backup like I am.

I got one of the Redfield spring loaded peeps in a parts bin at a gunshow- I shouldn't have snapped it up so eagerly, the dealer noticed my enthusiasm and charged appropriately. Limited adjustment. Drill and tap two tiny holes (any idea of TPI? I don't have the screws...). Looking for a gun to mount it on. Might interfere with bolt lift when down...

I was thinking of retaining Precise Metalsmithing Enterprises to mill some undrilled Warne style Rear Peep Bases.

Anyone ever hire them for a custom run?

Last year, I got obsessed and nearly bought a mini CNC mill to crank out some type of peep base! I had to slooowly let goooo of the idea...

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brockman and Talley make peeps for the rear base. Brockman only makes them for certain rifles and they are pop up...Talleys will fit on his rear bases but are not pop up....

I have a bunch of those Redfield peeps that attach to the rear of any redfield base or Buehler base...I'll take $35.00 each. for them plus a little postage if anyone is interrested, they work great....an fit on many bases..

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Pfeifer>
posted
DeBee,
I have had Jim Wisner make me a run of special three position safeties for some Siamese Mausers and some custom QR rings. He did an excellent job on these as usual! I had to buy 5 of the safeties to get them done and Jim put up a few more for extras to help defray the setup costs. These weren't exactly custom as Jim had made them years before but not for something like 12 years or so due to lack of sales. Last I talked with him, Jim was a very busy man as he has been doing some custom parts work for some of the larger rifle manufacturers. He does know his stuff and if you come to an agreement I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the results. Good things just take some time... Jeff P

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm....

Maybe the thing to do is start with an inexpensive base and mill it to accept a Williams slide and peep. I don't think that would be a difficult piece of work, if the scope is high enough off the base. Option two might be something similar with a folding peep.

Tom

Posts: 14382 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote