New
Find
Notify
Tools

Modify or change internal box mag Model 70
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Model 70 1969 vintage that has an internal box mag that is too short for the bullets I want to use. It was re-chambered from 7mm mag to 8mm mag. Is it possible to shave about .05" to make it a bit longer or can I replace it with a longer magazine. Thanks-Karl
Also, is it necessary to send the whole rifle to do this or could I just send the mag?

Posts: 214 | Location: Cochrane Alberta Canada | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does the current mag box have a spacer at the rear that effectively shortens it? If so, you can probably get one of the newer mag boxes made for the current models for 7mm STW (7stw is just 8 mag necked down). Since your is a post-64, the current production mag boxes might just be a drop in. I have several post-64 Classics, but am not sure is the action on your '69 vintage M70 is the same.

Posts: 142 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
David-No it does not have a spacer, but there is room for a larger magazine due to space from the stock.Karl

Posts: 214 | Location: Cochrane Alberta Canada | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can replace the box with another M-70 box for the 375.

You will have to inlet the box into the stock...All the old M-70 actions pre and post 64, were 375 length, and some action changes are also required but they are minor.....

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Ray, any suggestions where to obtain the new magazine? I live in Canada> Thanks-Karl

one of us
posted Hide Post
Karl, phone Western Gun Parts here in Edmonton. The number is 780-489-5711. Irv should be able to help you out. Don't worry if some of the staff sound a little grumpy on the phone, we're all getting a little crotchety in our old age. - dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote