New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pillar bedding a Rem788 ????
 Login/Join

<Kentucky Fisherman>
posted
I have a Rem788 in .243 that I want to pillar bed. My research indicated that aluminum pillar kits from eiher Darrell Holland or Score High might work best. I just got off the phone with Score High and the tech there said he wouldn't recommend pillar bedding a 788 because he didn't feel there is enough room at the rear tang. He recommended pouring/drilling epoxy pillars front and rear rather than aluminum.

I then called Darrell's shop and was told he's out sick, probably until Friday, so I didn't get to discuss the question with him.

I'm fairly sure guys have written here about bedding a 788, either using pillars or normal epoxy action bedding, but a search came up empty. Can someone who's "been there, done that" point me in the right direction? Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I machine a 3/8" diameter stud about 3/8" long, thread one end to screw into the rear tang, the other end is drilled and tapped 1/4-28. Then I screw this stud into the tang and secure with HiForce 44. I think I enlarged the rear tang screw hole to 1/4-28, can't recall. Anyway the rear tang is thin, thus the silver solder. Think I also machined a flat for the stud shoulder.

Rear pillar is machined with a recess for the 3/8" diameter stud to fit into.

Might have a photo or a drawing for the stud, and the pillars, I will take a look in the files.
Pillars are machined from stainless steel.

Below is one 788 that has received this treatment:

This one has no magazine, an aluminum solid "floor" in the bottom of the receiver, and a ADL type trigger guard. Front pillar is large in diameter and flanged on the stock side.

Both pillars epoxied in.

This is an extremely accurate rifle, has out shot several M700's. Set up as a switch barrel, the barrel shown is a 7mm-08.

-

Posts: 1055 | Location: Real Sasquatch Country!!! I Seen 'Em! | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John,
Is that the MacMillan marksman style stock?

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<G.Malmborg>
posted
John,

No matter how you disguise it, it still looks like a barbeque too me... [Big Grin]

Malm

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi John,

I just got back from the range with that 788 you have pictured with the 243 AI barrel. I'm getting slightly over 2" groups at 500 meters with that 788. It's shooting like a dream. I've put a leupold scope on it and it's shooting much better. I haven't had time to try out the 7mm/08 barrel. the 243 AI is shooting to good. That gun is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Big Dog, Ed Coffey

Posts: 89 | Location: Tacoma, Wash, USA | Registered: 07 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Big Dog:
Hi John,

I just got back from the range with that 788 you have pictured with the 243 AI barrel. I'm getting slightly over 2" groups at 500 meters with that 788. It's shooting like a dream. I've put a leupold scope on it and it's shooting much better. I haven't had time to try out the 7mm/08 barrel. the 243 AI is shooting to good. That gun is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Big Dog, Ed Coffey

Damn,
Didn't anybody tell you that's not possible? [Wink]

Those 788's remind me of Savages. Uglier than hell from the factory, but they do shoot when put up right.

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote