Notify
Tools

More Gunsmithing Math: Magazine Height
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted
Gentlemen,

I have the formula for calculating width and length is a no brainer, but I am hoping that someone has a formula for calculating the height of the magazine to hold X number of cartridges.

Is there a formula for calculating magazine height and if so, could someone share it with me or at direct me to where I could find it?

Thanks in advance,

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THIS MAY BE WRONG, but it seems to me I read it here on AR before.

Take the cartridges you are going to use and stack them in a stiff rubber band type arrangement in basically the same way they will sit in the magazine, e.g. in sort of a sideways triangle type fashion. Determine the number of cartridges you want in the magazine for this arrangement. then measure. make sure to leave some space for the follower and the compressed follower spring. If I were a betting man I would bet that if you took the cartridge you wanted to use and measured its diameter, multiplied it by .75 or so, and then multiplied that by the number of cartridges you wanted in the magazine, and then added one more diameter for the spring and follower you would be pretty damn close!!!

Another way would obviously be to measure a magazine already in existence that takes the cartridge you are interested in, and holds the number of cartridges you are interested in.

one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
22, I just wanted to follow up.

I pulled out the calculator and ran your formula and compared the results to an actual triggerguard. It gets close and the results were a bit oversized.

I have had a chance to think about this and I think I know where to derive the formula from. My problem now is my math skills suck and I'm no good at abstract things like this. But I'll figure it out.

You did help point me in the right direction though.

Thanks,

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
Not sure if it will help or not but this site was a bit interesting on this subject.
http://www.club.guns.ru/eng/konovalov2.html

The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -

Posts: 211 | Location: Little Rock, AR. USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote