New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who's had work done by Mark Penrod?
 Login/Join

<9.3x62>
posted
I'm lining him up for my 9.3x64 project and I have heard very good things about him. Anyone care to share their experiences? TIA.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know that dSmith.45 had one built on a pre-64 and seemed more than happy. Maybe he will chime in. I remember it was a great looking gun and fit and finish was top rate. Heres a picture

Posts: 1605 | Location: Wa. State | Registered: 19 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
9.3, I had Mark do a Model 70 300 WSM for me 2 years ago. Mark said it would be 6 months and based on prior work done by other well known Smiths I planned on at least a year,imagine my surprise when exactly one day before 6 months was up I received a call from Mark saying
the rifle was done.
This gun exceeded all expectations,work looked great and the rifle shot awesome. Mark was also a gentleman on the phone and gave just what he promised.
Chris

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark is an outstanding guy. When you are on the phone with him you'll fell like you are talking to your best friend.

I had him barrel, chamber, true up an action for me. I also had him replace a broken extractor on a 700.

Mark is widely respected and will do a fantastic job. I can not recommend him enough.

Posts: 210 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: 20 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of WORLDHUNTER1
posted Hide Post
Mark has completed 4 for me. I keep going back.

Posts: 238 | Location: MI | Registered: 04 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't contracted to have the work done myself, but I've barreled 2 of the Ruger Number Ones he has gone through and reworked. The work was FIRST class. I've nerver meet him personally but he does nice work.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark is a top craftsman, you can’t go wrong.

Roland

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark has done several rifles for me. He currently has two more in his shop. His work has been nothing less than great. Every time I go down to his shop I feel like a piker when he shows me the rifles he has built for some of you guys.

NRA Life Member
NRA Charter Member Golden Eagles

Posts: 899 | Location: South Bend, Indiana | Registered: 11 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mark built a Remington Model 7 SS for me last year in 250 Savage. Slightly heavier barrel (std Rem contour) at 20" and bedded in H-S Precision stock. Outstanding work, beautiful little rig.
He is very talented and a good guy. I was fortunate enough to visit him in his shop and saw some of the other 'works in progress'. Excellent...you really can't go wrong.

Posts: 16 | Location: SouthCentral Indiana | Registered: 04 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dSmith.45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmyd223:
I know that dSmith.45 had one built on a pre-64 and seemed more than happy. Maybe he will chime in. I remember it was a great looking gun and fit and finish was top rate. Heres a picture

]http://www.myweb.cableone.net/dSmith-45/Penrod-15.jpg

Hummm that looks familiar ...

Yes Mark built that rifle for me. Small correction it's a mid nineties vintage Classic action. After getting to shoot and hunt with it for six months I still think it's a great value in what I got versus what I paid. No buyers remorse here. Matter of fact I have a short action M70 push feed and a Blackburn bottom metal in my safe that will go to Mark as soon as I have the ready cash. That rifle needs a little brother in the form of a .224 Wby Varminter.

I had a whole series of pics detailing the construction of the rifle in another thread. I had to take most of them down for lack of space.

Posts: 359 | Location: 33N36'47", 96W24'48" | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Add me to the list of Mark's satisfied customers.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Steve,

I enjoyed your photo album. What a nice bunch of animals. The kudu and leopard are very impressive.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1633 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I highly reccomend Mark. He did a barreled action for me, and the work was perfect. He did exactly what I requested, in less time than he quoted. He also responded to my e-mails and phone messeges in a timely manor, and called me when a question of the work came up.

I look foward to using him again.

one of us
Picture of Jeff Alexander
posted Hide Post
Add me to the list of happy campers (do I detect a pattern here?). Mark has built me a .338 WM and .416 Remington on Model 70 actions. He's also replaced the extractor and done a bedding and trigger job on a 270 Win for me as well.

I plan to have him build at least two more rifles for me. PM me with your email and I will send you pictures of some of his work.

Jeff

Posts: 1002 | Location: Dixieland | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
I have a 458 that he built. It feeds like poop through a goose and the front sight and quarter rib are very well done and attractive.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1633 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
9.3x62,

I like the idea of the 9.3x64, it desrves more support than it generally gets.
Would you be going McMillanSupergrade or McmillanSafariDropbox style stock for the 9.3x64?
If someone does not mind telling us, what is Mark charging for a rig like the one in the photo Jimmyd223 posted above?