New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 Dakota in a standard 98?
 Login/Join

posted
Hi!

I bought myself a ZG-47 in 30-06 today, the reason is that I want to build a medium or big bore African kind of style rifle. After studying on internet for a suitable caliber I got hooked up on the 375 Dakota.
I still have some questions about it:
Is the action long enough for a 375 Dakota?
How many rounds gets in the mag?
Does the feeding work good without modifications?

regards /Ulrik

<JOHAN>
posted
Hej Ulrik

Yes it can be done. You need to open the bolt face, adjust the extractor claw, modify the magazine rails, and get a new floorplate for it that has the correct magazine dimentions. The Zg-47 is a very nice action and is long enough. The action can be opend a bit in the rear if you wich too.

First problem is to find a gunsmith that can handle this type of work.

When is the action/rifle made ??

/ JOHAN

posted Hide Post
Hi Johan!

Are you the same Johan as JOHANN in "Robbans forum"?
I am not that sure to use the 375 Dakota know when I have learned that it would not feed unmodified.
Maybe I should go for 9,3x66 SAKO or 416 Taylor, but I dont like the 416 because the lack of bullets, especially in Sweden.

I think the rifle was from the 50s, I have not picked it up from the dealer yet, only paid for it, I guess it was a bargain, 2000SEK (~280$) including mounts and a old scope.

regards /Ulrik

one of us
posted Hide Post
What scope was there on the gun?
Any interesting old german scope or a Meopta?

Regards H�kan

Posts: 70 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 26 October 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hi H�kan!

This starts to look like a mirror of "Robbans"
I dont think the scope is of interest, I think it was a Pecar (not sure) but the tube had a smaller diameter than 1" maybe 20mm.

The 9,3x64 seems very interesting, any experience of feeding for this caliber?

regards /Ulrik

one of us
posted Hide Post
REDCREEK..I JUST FINISHED TWO 330 DAKOTAS ON 98 ACTIONS. TO WORK PROPERLY THE FEED RAILS NEED TO BE OPENED.NOT DIFFICULT WITH A MILL.WITH A LITTLE WORK YOU CAN GET 3 RDS DOWN WITH ORIGINAL MAG BOX. BOLT FACE AND EXTRACTOR WORK ALSO NEEDED. WITH A LITTLE WORK ON FEED RAMP AND BACK OF MAG BOX YOU SHOULD BE PRETTY HAPPY WITH THE FEEDING.

Posts: 32 | Location: lancaster,pa | Registered: 23 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two ZG-47s and this is, over-all my favourite action of the many dozen rifles I have owned/used, including 32 Pre-64 Mod. 70s, Mannlicher-Schoenauers, a Dakota and Mausers of every available type. One of my ZG-47s will be re-barreled to 9.3x62 this coming summer for use as a Grizzly buster here in B.C. as this is a lighter rifle than my .375s and perfectly adequate for the task.

If, I were in Europe, I would not use the .375 Dakota in this action, I would use the 9.3x64 Brenneke with 286 Nosler Pts. at 2600. Using a short magnum mag. box from Wisner, a chap I know had a C-ring Mauser from Husquvarna re-barrelled to this cartridge and it holds 5 down and one up, it has a barrel from Half-Moon in Montana, USA and it shoots like a target rifle.

If, I had to have a .375 Dakota, I wouldn't use a Mauser or a Pre-64 although it can be done, of course. The Brenneke round is, IMO, a better cartridge and will stop and kill a Grizzly just as quickly as any .375 will. I wish you every success in getting your rifle made up, you got a steal on the price and probably the finest, post-war production bolt rifle made-I prefer mine to my Dakota.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can get three down. When do you really think you'll need that 5th one? I think the 375 D is a great standard-length round. A 270g @ 2900 from 24" of bbl is pretty sweet.
You might consider another inch on there just for fun.
I don't imagine folks in Europe have any trouble getting a hold of 404J cases, which is what I'd use. If you're traveling with it, Dakota will be selling the headstamped brass for as long as it's in biz.
Another favorite of mine would be the same thing in 416. There's the 416 Howell if you're not up for making your own wildcat, though he doesn't make use of every last bit of room in the case like I'd like.
You can expect around 2400 fps from a 400g, 2500 fps with a 370g, 2750 with a 325g.
I'd say that's an excellent candidate for a "medium or big bore African kind of style rifle."

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote