New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet traps in buttstock
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Why do all the old german rifles have bullet trapsin the butt stock bottom and hardly any new rifles and no factory rifles have them?I always thought they were really cool.Are they a lot of cost and labor to install on a modern rifle?Anyone ever install one or use one on there favorite rifle?Does anyone else like them besides myself?Just never see any modern ones....

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the ones in the end of the butt, I think it is the Biesen's that make one that has a recoil pad on a hinge. I want to say that when I asked it was 500 to have one installed. Has to be custom made for each rifle.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not to sure except for $$$ why this isn't done anymore. I did one or two and it wasn't a hard job to do. Had to make the butplate & that would be a few bucks. Biggest problem is that the ammo gets forgotten about and gunks up in the hole

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blaser offers that option. They are quite neat looking. I have always shied away from them myself, as I don't like more metal parts exposed on my rifle than absolutely necessary. Metal tends to produce quite a bit of noise in the field. But I must admit, the stock magazines are quite nifty options.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin,

blackbearhunter,

In Europe we can still find a number of catridge traps offered for buttstocks. Like mho said, Blaser offers one and a couple of other smaller, prestige gunmakers offer them in their program as well but at the end of the day, they probably all come from the same source.

Here are some Blaser examples:

http://www.blaser.de/english/produkte/upgrades/schaftmag.htm

They would actually be pretty easy to install with the correct template and drill bits since the magazine cover simply hides correctly spaced & drilled holes in the stock to accomodate the apropriate catridge without it wiggling around and falling out.

I also like the idea of having the sling swivel as part of the magazine but I think I would rather have it inverted, so the sling swivel is to the toe of the stock as opposed towards the pistol grip as in the examples.

Cost & installation would probably run about €250,-

Cheers,

Gerry

PS I don't have one but think they are pretty cool myself, maybe........ bewildered

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
blackbearhunter

Recknagel offers a few different types of stock managzines. They have representative in US Smiler

http://members.aol.com/naederr/erawelcomeenglish.htm

Cheers
/JOHAN

one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
NECG has them.
I think they are pretty sharp too. As far as way don't Rem, Win, Sako ect. put them in new rifles, They are all trying to figure out how to give us less for more money and niceaties like a cartridge trap aint in the program.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have a bullet trap part laying around they want to sell?I want to get one but dont want to spend 500.00.Do any of you guys do metalwork and can make one up?Dang a piece of steel 4-inches long with a hinge shouldnt be that big a deal to make?Would a machine shop be the right place to go looking for someone to make one?I just dont see paying some of the prices these companys charge for a little piece of steel.I think i could do my own with a file/grinder if nothing else?I dont need no fancy engraveing either.Justa trap plate/hinge to hold a couple extra cartridges.could a mold be made and silver melted and used?would silver be the wrong material to build one out of?Thanks in advance.

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i had plans for one around somewhere. i didn't design it but if i remember right it was made out of a piece of plate and iron pipe. i'll look for them when i get home. if your interested get me your mailing address and i'll get them out to you.

max

max042@comcast.net

Posts: 981 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
b b h

I have one of the old Fajen's that was sold out by Midway. It is new in the white for .540 Dia. (Mag. cartridges). I will sell it to you for $80.00 shipped in US. Just let me know.

James

Posts: 658 | Location: W.Va | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote