New
Find
Notify
Tools

Converting 30-06 to 6.5-284
 Login/Join

<Guy Kish>
posted
How easily can a 30-06 be converted to a 6.5-284? I have a SAKO Deluxe Finnbear in 30-06 that bores me so I'd like to convert it with a barrel change. Are the bolt faces identical? Thanks,

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
The bolt faces should be the same size. However, the .284 case is fatter than the 06 case and the shoulder angle is much sharper. You will be spending a lot of time on the feed ramp and rails to get this cartridge to feed properly. Thats been my experience on mausers. Dont know if a Sako action will handle the case any better.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Guy Kish>
posted
Is anyone planning a factory 6.5-284?

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
I know the cartridge has been submitted to SAAMI for approval. I havent heard of any manufacturer chambering for it yet.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, it can be done, and likely without that much trouble to make it feed.

But let me suggest instead the 6.5/06 improved: It has more case capacity, cheaper and more plentiful brass, requires no alteration to your expensive Sako (which could then have the original barrel reinstalled if desired), your 3.6" Sako magazine has more than enough length for it, and it's just a better cartridge design which will give you 100 fps or more extra velocity over the .284 case.

If there is an advantage to the short .284 case, it is that it can be made to work in a short action. Your Sako is sized for a .375 H & H; it seems a little silly to put a Remington Model 7 cartridge in it.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with stonecreek. I have both a 6.5-06AI and a 6.5-284 and the AI was much easier to build. I use 270 brass that is sized, trimmed and fireformed. It is pretty cheap (costwise) to do.

Having said that, I also love the 6.5-284. Don't mess with the factory Norma or Hornady brass at twice the cost it should be. Buy 284 brass and just run it through the dies. I did have to do a lot of work to the Mauser I converted to get it to feed properly and eject properly. The feed rails need to be opened and mine needed the ejection port opened just a bit since the case was just that hair too fat to eject reliably. The original gun was a 308. But I like this kind of work, so it was OK. Either rifle will shoot .5" at 100 yards. The AI is regular size with a 24" barrel and the 6.5-284 is a light rifle with a 20" barrel. Hope it helps.

------------------
Larry

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a 224-284 built on a Rem. 700 that was a 270 Win. I works perfect, but I can only get 3 rounds in the magazine. Being a long action I have no trouble seating the bullets way past SAMMI max lengths, which I have to do to use the long 80 gr. bullets it eas designed for and still get case capacity.

Posts: 9 | Location: usa | Registered: 13 June 2002Reply With Quote
<1GEEJAY>
posted
I agree with ever on.I myself am having an 6.5-06AI built.Just waiting for Borden to send the stock(slow)Gun is finished except put it in the stock.
1geejay
http:www.shooting-hunting.com