THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning BPS take down (now re-assemble)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted
I just received a new fore-end for my BPS 12 ga. Luckily for me it included the "hanger" that the fore-end attaches to.

My problem is that I am not sure how to take the old fore-end off.

Any help on dis-assembly wouldbe appreciated.

Now I have the new fore-end installed but I cant get the trigger assy backin place. It seems to be hitting the cartrdge stops. What is the trick?

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, Bill!

Once you have the barrel and trigger assembly off you have to reach in and remove the two flat cartridge stops on either side of the receiver. They sit in recesses in the receiver walls.

You then have to remove the slide (the flat piece the bolt rides on) Once the cartridge stops are out you can pull the forearm to the rear and lift the slide out by lifting up on the front of it. Once you have the slide out the forearm and the action bars will slide right out of the receiver and you can also remove the bolt if you need to now.

Good luck, brother!

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Now I cant get the trigger assy back in place. What is the trick?

William Berger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boy, Bill...without being able to see the gun I am just stabbing in the dark, but here’s my best guesses to try out.

Are you trying to put the trigger assembly back in with the slide forward or back? I believe it has to be fully to the rear. Are the cartridge guides fully seated in their slots? Are you “rocking the trigger assembly in and down?

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
I have tried it every way imaginable to slide it back in. I did a netsearch and found a lot of comments on how hard it is to re-assemble the BPS. (getting the trigger assy back in specificaly)

I guess I will be calling Browning tomorrow and ask how it s done.

William Berger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

In the mean time...remember how you had to pull the trigger assembly to the rear and then lift it up and out? Are you sure you are doing that procedure exactly in reverse?

I’m betting on you...if you can fly them UAV’s around you can put that damned shotgun back together! Smiler

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
It is pretty darn humiliating when a chunk of metal that only weighs a few pounds kicks my butt all over the place.

I finally got it in but I dont have a clue how. All of a sudden after hours of beating my head it just slid right in easy as pie. I should stick with tanks and blowing stuff up instead of bumbling with gun parts. That at least comes natural to me.

William Berger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
See...I won my bet...I knew you would do it! Smiler

A next door neighbor of mine had one of those Brownings and I could always tell when he was taking it apart and putting it back together from the slams, bangs and cussing coming from his garage.

Perhaps the same guy that came up with that friggin take-down lever on the Ruger pistols designed that Browning? Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are a sob if you don't know the trick. The spring strip shell stops are not staked in place. When you try to install the trigger group they block your way, and usually fall out inside the receiver.

To make them get out of the way use strips of aluminum can metal. Put the gun in a vice or whatever to hold it horizontal and receiver opening up. You could have a buddy hold it. Align the shell stops with the hole for the pin. You might need a dab of grease to stick them in place. Lay the strips along the sides of the trigger group. Insert the pivot pin at the front of the trigger grop in it's recess. Rotate the trigger group into place. Remove the strips. Insert the pin. The strips will let the trigger group cam the shell stops out of the way.

This is a really poor design feature of the BPS. You may consiter staking the shell stops in place. The Remington 1100s have them staked with an tiny mark from a punch. A gunsmith that knows shotguns will have an 1100 staking tool, if you don't want to do it yourself.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
" Are you sure you are doing that procedure exactly in reverse?"

Unfortunately that will not work on a BPS. See my other post.

I hate BPS. It is a POS that I never thought much of. I have a bunch of M-12s, A BSS (nice gun), LC Smiths, A buddy just gave me an 1100. I will have to see how that newfangled auto loader works out. I can say the BPS is bottom of the barrel. I would rather have a reliable Mossberg than the BPS. The BPS has never been a reliable gun for me. Often the shell stops will malfunction and allow a double feed completly tying up the gun and requiring disassembly. The chamber is prone to rust and the extraction is weak. The extraction fails and another shell comes in behing the stuck one, again necessating disassembly. I could not count the number of times I have sat in the field taking my gun apart while my buddies were having a good shoot. I was the butt of constant jokes.

Yes, it is made of steel and walnut. It looks like a good gun but does not act like one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, Bill!

You know what you forgot to try? You should have painted the trigger assembly with BBQ paint and then smacked that sucker in with a big book! Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:
Hey, Bill!

You know what you forgot to try? You should have painted the trigger assembly with BBQ paint and then smacked that sucker in with a big book! Smiler

I painted mine, camoflage, wood too. Something about the Japenese steel makes it more prone to rust. I used to do quite a bit of salt marsh hunting. The paint helped. Besides, I hate the gun. Felt kinda good to abuse it.