Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reshaping military bolt knobs to teardrop shape
 Login/Join

posted
Most of my sporterized and semi-custom Mauser 98 & 96 rifles have bent military bolt handles modified for scope clearance. I have heard that the round military bolt knobs can be carefully reshaped to replicate custom/commercial teardrop shaped knobs. This seems like a good alternative to the expense of fitting new bolt handles. Has anybody done this? Any guidelines and pics would be appreciated.

Posts: 16 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jack Hamrick has done one for me. He stretches the bolt slightly while contouring for the scope then grinds the bolt into a teardrop shape. I am certain many other g'smith's do this, but Jack really does a great job. I will try and post a picture later.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always thought that a military bolt that is just bent to clear a scope was too short. I haven't tried it but seems like it would be better to extend the handle a bit and then attach a teardrop knob. Reshaping the knob may give it a better feel though, making the handle seem longer. I'd be interested in hearing someone's thoughts on this too.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 831 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my shop It would probably be cheaper to weld on a new, nicer handle. The time to bend and do a good job filing a the stock knob would eaisly be as much or more as just putting a new one on with better lines. Not that it can't be done, it's just a time thing.

Posts: 460 | Location: Auburn CA. | Registered: 25 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
I've used a 4-jaw and a cup center to set up the bolt in the lathe and turn the bubble off the knob. It is easiest to setup on a straight bolt.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1852 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Round knobs can be functional and attractive with the right treatment. Here's one that I made plus a teardrop shaped one also.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cheechako,
Those look pretty darn nice. Looks like you've inserted a checkered ball or something into the ends. Very unique and attractive approach.

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Posts: 831 | Location: Randleman, NC | Registered: 07 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
clowdis

How those are made is a very closely guarded secret. I will reveal it only to anyone who asks. Wink

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GunCat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cheechako:
clowdis

How those are made is a very closely guarded secret. I will reveal it only to anyone who asks. Wink

Ray

I'll be standing over here listening carefully when someone asks Big Grin

Steve Rose
----------
Rose Action Sports, LLC
www.roseactionsports.com

Posts: 189 | Location: Western Kentucky | Registered: 02 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
How about cut off flipped over and rewelded. Though it's not pear shaped.

quote:
Originally posted by clowdis:
I have always thought that a military bolt that is just bent to clear a scope was too short. I haven't tried it but seems like it would be better to extend the handle a bit and then attach a teardrop knob. Reshaping the knob may give it a better feel though, making the handle seem longer. I'd be interested in hearing someone's thoughts on this too.

Posts: 6440 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
Those knobs look like they could have been checkered and the brass ring added to disguise the border. It looks pretty clean.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those knobs are made the same way that many of the custom knobs were made by the old masters. I'm sure you've seen some of those knobs and wondered, "How did they do that checkering, with no border and no over-runs?" Well, they were made the same way that Ivory or silver, or gold inlays were. They were seperate pieces that were glued in.

For mine you need a lathe, of course. The knob is hollowed out and the brass ring (sleeve) and checkered part are glued in.

Westpac hit on another method. Checker the knob and then cut a circular recess into which you fit a ring or sleeve. The sleeve can be some exotic material if that suits your fancy.

Now you know. Smiler

Of course, some of the REAL masters actually checkered them in one piece, with no border and no overruns. I wish I could do that.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I wonder how a glass eye would look in one of those? Big Grin

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments. I guess if one asked a gunsmith to reshape the military bolt knob, the cost would be equal to- or more than having a whole new bolt handle welded on. I was thinking of reshaping the knob myself (cost = $0) with files and my Dremel tool. Some time ago I found a DIY article on the Net detailing how it was done on a M96 knob...can't find it now.

Posts: 16 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 31 January 2007Reply With Quote