New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can this be done
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Not very familiar with Wby cartridges, but I have an outfitter friend that wants me to build him a 257 Wby...Can this be done effectively on a 98 Mauser or mod. 70 action is my question..I looked at a 240 and that looks do-able, but I recall the 257 Wby is a larger case..so will a Rem 700, 98 Mauser or mod. 70 work and if not what will besides a Wby action?

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Sure; .257 Wby is just a standard Magnum (.530) case, cut off to 2.5 inches. So any action you would build any other magnum on, you can do with a 257 Wby. As long as the OAL of 3.2 inches can be accommodated.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just think of a 338 Winchester necked to 25 calibre or a 264 Win or 7mm Rem necked to 25.

Actually I find I amazing that someone who has been on AR for so long is not aware of what a 257 Wby is like.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Actually I find I amazing that someone who has been on AR for so long is not aware of what a 257 Wby is like.

Ouch!

Posts: 400 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SxS-boy
posted Hide Post
If you are converting a "standard" action you will have to open up the magazine port. I haven't done it to Mdl-70 or the Rem 700 but have done several M-98's. Watch out that you don't open it up too much because you will loose the ability to stop the mag follower and it will pop up out of it's box into the action. I only did that once converting an 8mm, 98 to 300 mag. That required lengthening the port as well and then redoing the ramp. All of this is way too much work for me anymore. If it's not a mag action it doesn't get a mag chamber.