New
Find
Notify
Tools

m1999 Montana Professional Hunter Action Numbers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Here are the latest numbers for the Professional Hunter actions. Check the list to ensure your initials or company initials are on it. If your initials are not listed please contact us immediately so that we may remedy this.
You'll also notice a 4 digit code next to the initials, this is the action part number. I will explain it so that you can also check it against what you believe you have on order. If what you think you have on order and what is listed are different please contact us so that we can remedy this.

1st digit = action length D = PH Action
2nd digit = action material
C = Chrome Moly
S = Stainless Steel

3rd digit = Right (R) or Left (L) hand
4th digit = bolt face
M = .534" magnum bolt face
X = .589" Rigby bolt face

D03-0001 T.C. DCRX
D03-0002 C.F.G. DCLM
D03-0010 FNF DSRX
D03-0023 H.M. DCLX
D03-0024 H.M. DCLX
D03-0025 E.T. DSLX
D03-0027 T.A. DCLX
D03-0033 M.D. DSRX
D03-0039 E.C. DSRM
D03-0040 K.R. DCRX
D03-0041 K.R. DSRX
D03-0042 D.C. DCRM
D03-0043 D.C. DCRX
D03-0255 S.F.F. DCRX
D03-0375 L.M. DCRM
D03-0376 M.M. DCRM
D03-0404 C.W. DCRM
D03-0423 R.K. DCRM
D03-0416 C.W. DCRM
D03-0450 B.M. DSRX
D03-0470 J.S. DCRX
D03-0500 V.L. DCRX
D03-0505 C.W. DCRM
D03-0620 D.M. DSRX

<Rusty>
posted
Dan, thank you! Looks good to me!
Just to reconfirm, the actions come untapped for scopes?

Rusty
We band of brothers!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty,
You are absolutely correct. The Professional Hunter action will not come drilled or tapped. We decided to do this as there are a lot of different bases available out there and whomever puts the rifle together can drill & tap or dovetail the action for your particular base choice.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan,

Where do we stand on numbers for the PH? Can I assume we will reach 300 this summer and possibly have action in hand this Fall?

I'd also like to see some pics. I've checked out the CAD type stuff on the website. Do we have and action in the flesh yet or are you folks still working out some final design issues?

Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Boltgun>
posted
Dan,
Can you guys do quarter ribs on your barreled actions along with sights and barrel recoil lugs? I was thiking about a 505 Gibbs on your PH action with a half octagon, half round barrel. Have you decided on a final magazine length yet?

Thanks,
Boltgun

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dan,

If it is practical I think you would be better off to offer the action with dovetails cut for mounts as an option or alternatively offer "uncut" as an option.

If your action is ready to take mounts and is also setup to feed a certain calibre then I think a lot more people will buy the action. Much easier and cheaper to find a gunsmith who only has to barrel and chamber.

The large majority of big bangers on this forum are either CZ 416s at the lower price range and Ruger 416 and 378 based Wbys at the dear end. All three have one thing in common and that is it is all easy and straight forward.

For various reasons my preference is Wby for big bangers but if I was to break away to a CRF action for say a 450 Rigby, then if your action was set up to feed and take scope mounts I would buy it. However if it was just a "gunsmith's" action I would go via CZ 416 Rigby as the starting point.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots of questions which I'll answer one at a time. DavidC asked about numbers. Here is where we are right now.

D03-0001 T.C. DCRX
D03-0002 C.F.G. DCLM
D03-0010 FNF DSRX
D03-0023 H.M. DCLX
D03-0024 H.M. DCLX
D03-0025 E.T. DSLX
D03-0027 T.A. DCLX
D03-0033 M.D. DSRX
D03-0039 E.C. DSRM
D03-0040 K.R. DCRX
D03-0041 K.R. DSRX
D03-0042 D.C. DCRM
D03-0043 D.C. DCRX
D03-0255 S.F.F. DCRX
D03-0375 L.M. DCRM
D03-0376 M.M. DCRM
D03-0404 C.W. DCRM
D03-0416 C.W. DCRM
D03-0423 R.K. DCRM
D03-0450 B.M. DSRX
D03-0465 J.R. DCRX
D03-0470 J.S. DCRX
D03-0474 J.M. DCRX
D03-0500 V.L. DCRX
D03-0505 C.W. DCRM
D03-0510 J.M. DCRX
D03-0600 J.M. DCRX
D03-0620 D.M. DSRX
D03-505 Gibbs T.B. DCRX

one of us
posted Hide Post
As the PH action is still in the design phase we do not have any actual pictures except for what you see in the website. As soon as we get some pictures that are useful we'll post them

one of us
posted Hide Post
Boltgun asked "Can you guys do quarter ribs on your barreled actions along with sights and barrel recoil lugs? I was thiking about a 505 Gibbs on your PH action with a half octagon, half round barrel. Have you decided on a final magazine length yet?"

We do not currently do "integral" ribs on our barrels" The magazine length of the PH will be 4.00" long.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike375 asked:
"If it is practical I think you would be better off to offer the action with dovetails cut for mounts as an option or alternatively offer "uncut" as an option."

We thought about offering dovetails in the action, but found that everyone wanted something different. We felt in order to please everyone it was probably better to offer it without any dovetails or drilled and tapped. But! We may consider doing the dovetails for the customer here at our shop in Montana.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan,

Thanks for the response. I should have been more clear in my question. I understood from your first post where the AR members were with regards to our orders/numbers etc....I was referring to any orders from folks outside of AR.

In other words I was wondering if there were more orders from general public not represented on your list.

As you can probably tell I really want to get my 2 actions!!! [Smile]

Best Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It looks like it will be a while before they can start producing the PH action.

Dan,

May I suggest that you advertise the PH action in the big bore forum, as a lot of big bore shooters hang out over there. I understand that Rod orginally wanted to market the action in the gunsmithing community but I think you would be better off targeting the PH action or any other actions for that matter to the shooter community instead. Just a suggestion! Thanks!

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DavidC,
No, the numbers shown on my posts for the PH numbers are accurate and include anyone who has ordered one. I will be doing a new post on the numbers today, look for it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mingo,
I think that you are absolutely right. I have given that a thought but being that I was just carrying on what Rod started I didn't do it. But I will post something today on the Big Bore Forum. Thanks for the advice, it is always greatly appreciated.

one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
I dont have a FFL but know someone who orders my rifles for me. Can I get in on this? And if i can would you send me info I cant find the original post. Id be interested in a barreled action in 450 rigby.
Thanks Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tonto:
I dont have a FFL but know someone who orders my rifles for me. Can I get in on this? And if i can would you send me info I cant find the original post. Id be interested in a barreled action in 450 rigby.
Thanks Dean

Tonto, I don't think this is an FFL-only offer. All of the initial MRC "new action" specials have been open to the general public (of course, you'll need an FFL to take delivery of the action for you...). Dan may not see your post immediately, so you may try to reach him via mtrifle@montanarifleman.com . I don't think it should be a problem for you to get in on this deal, a bit of patience may be required before the threshhold number has been reached, but other than that, you should be fine. In time Dan will spot your post and correct me if I have said anything wrong [Smile]
- mike

[ 05-30-2003, 18:00: Message edited by: mho ]

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote