Find
Notify
Tools

Slow Rust Blueing Stuff
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi there,

I plan to do slow rust blueing at home but the problem is getting the chemicals. As far as I know, neither Brownells nor MidwayUSA will ship blueing solutions or salts to Canada(heck, not even aerosol cans)

I wonder if some of you know who carries such stuff in Canada or who might have them(like a gunsmith who does slow rust blueing)

It would also be helpful to know any recipes too.

Thanks in advance

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pyrotek,

Give Jim Baiar the proprietor of Half Moon Rifle Shop in Montana a try. He makes/distribute the Gun Goddess slow rust formula. I have used it on two rifles with great results and seen it on others. It is an excellent product IMO.

Half Moon Rifle Shop
490 Halfmoon Road
Columbia Falls, MT 59912

Posts: 1243 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Years agi PO Ackley wrote to me to take equal parts of concentrated nitric and hydrochloric acid, throw in a bunch of nails, and when the reaction stops to pour off the liquid and use it for rust blueing. I tried it and it worked very well on a 98 Mauser trigger guard. (Anyone else ever heard of this?)

Posts: 57 | Location: Hudson Valley, NY | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
9x23w--

That formula is known as the "Neidner blue". It looks good but has an after rusting tendancy and it's pretty scary to use... I much prefer Gungodess, Belgium Blue (express), or Mark Lee solution.

Pyrotek--
Martin Hagn should be able to tell you where to find some.
(604)489-4861 is the only number I have. I don't know if it's good now or not.

[ 11-09-2003, 06:12: Message edited by: JBelk ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Martin farms all of his rust blueing out.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
another vote for belguim blue...
jeffe

Posts: 39594 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pyrotek,
Try HVH Enterprises in Winnipeg ph.(204)255-8988, they have gunsmith supplies.
"Canadian Access to Firearms" and "The Gunrunner" are also good sources for contacts. www.canadianguns.com www.telusplant.net/public/gunner/
Hot blue salts (Royal Black Salt)can be purchased in Canada from Atotech Canada Ltd. at (905)332-0111. You can obtain the chemicals from Brownell's if sent by truck frieght. Very costly. About $500.00 per pallet.
Have you tried Birchwood Casey Super Blue?

[ 11-09-2003, 22:53: Message edited by: shortshot ]

Posts: 85 | Location:  | Registered: 25 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That "Niedner Blue" sounds to me a lot like a rust browning solution. Pretty much any iron salt solution will cause rapid, intense rusting and it'll keep right on doing it as long as there's the slightest trace of chloride or sulfate present. (I inadvertently "browned" the inside of my .45 ACP barrel recently by forgetting that the ammo I'd just been shooting was corrosively primed.) Rinsing it thoroughly with hot water, even boiling it after finishing wouldn't be too extreme.

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Concentrated nitric and hydrochloric acid 50:50 is also known as aqua regia and it will attack just about anything. Very strong corrosive and very dangerous. I wrote the S.O.P. for the chemistry department for this.
To give you an idea: when I was finished cleaning glassware for my trace metals lab, I needed to dispose of the solution I had made. I had a little less than 500mL total. That is something less than a pint. It took 3 full cups of sodium bicarbonate and 3.5 liters (almost a gallon) of a medium strength sodium hydroxide solution to neutralize it. Depending on your concentration and volume, it would take quite a few handfuls of nails to even dent its corrosive ability.
It works just as good on flesh.

Get Angiers book off of www.abe.com

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all replies, I'll get the books, chemicals and the phone calls done. Some questions :

What's the Angier's book?

Will I be able to find the Gungodess formula in the Angier's book? What about the Swiss Army formula or the Belgium blue or Mark Lee?

one of us
posted Hide Post
From the www.abe.com I found a copy of Angier's book right in the city near where I live. Guess I'll find out the answers tomorrow.