Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colt 1991 A1
 Login/Join

posted
I have a Colt 1991 A1 and the slide wants to stick on the way close.
i fired a few rounds and it worked flawlessly and then it started to hang up on every shot. the slide would stick about 1.2 way closed. i dissassemled it, cleaned it, oiled it and it still wants to hanf up. \has anyone else have / had this issue ?

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
are there drag marks on the barrel shroud on top just behind the rear lug? Could be the barrel is coming up too soon.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are you shooting reloads?

Posts: 127 | Location: yuma, AZ | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
I'm curious what "1.2 way closed" means. Does this problem occur when cycling an empty gun or only when feeding ammunition from the magazine, or both?

Usually when the slide hangs up when cycling an unloaded gun the problem can be traced to the link, the lug or the barrel bushing. If it occurs when feeding ammunition from the magazine then I would look to the extractor, or feed ramp/throat for a solution. Or not.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it has not been modified send it back to Colt. They will fix it probably for free.

Posts: 528 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
1.2 is a typing error. it should say 1/2.
i have fired reloads in the past but this time around is factory ammo. it will happen when cycling an empty chamber. i looked closer and found a very shiney spot on the barrel link.
nothing was ever modified, maybe a trip back to colt is not such a bad idea.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO a trip back to colt is next to useless. gunsmith time

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
1/2" before in battery I'm guessing the barrel is coming up too soon, either the link is too long or the slide stop pin is touching the lugs too soon. Either way you need a qualified gunsmith.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
upon inspecting parts more closely, i found wear spots on the bottom "flange" of the guide rod. i ground about .015 off per side and reassembled and it hand functions without hanging up. now to fire test it this weekend.

thanks for all advise. made me look a little harder at all parts. just get frustrated at times !

posted Hide Post
for anyone who might be interested... I have fixed the Colt !!
believe it or not , I changed the spring ( the one over guide rod) and it functions flawlessly !!
i must admit, i am not one who checks the gas when the engine will not start !!!