Find
Notify
Tools

22 short and 22 lr to 22 wmr conversions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of littlecanoe
posted
Today I was fortunate to get reacquainted with an old gunsmith from my neck of the woods. He does some work for family and friends now but is pretty much out of the business. He was talking about a project that he has in the works, lining a 22 WMR to convert to 17 HMR.

This discussion led on to talk about .22 conversions/builds that he had done in the past, a recent one. He has built a 22 chambered for 22 short with a 30 inch barrel for a super quiet squirrel rifle. Action used was a Rem 510.

He also shared that he had done conversions making 22 bolts into single shot 22 WMR's. Maybe certain actions would be more suited to this.

Just wondering if anyone has performed these conversions and the results that you saw with them.

Thanks,
lc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I am reading this correctly, he took a 22lr and made it into a 22mrf?

Different barrel diameters, the bore.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of littlecanoe
posted Hide Post
Yes. Not sure which actions were used.
with the .oo1 diameter difference I would assume higher pressures. He stated that he had seen decent accuracy from this conversion. My question would be how safe is this?

The 22 short chambering is the idea that I really like. I don't have much use for a rifle set up like this but a quite vermin sniper for close to the house is appealing.