New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weiland article @ SCI [rigby+mauser]
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Interesting article by Terry Weiland over at SCI on future collaboration between Rigby and Mauser.

http://huntforever.wordpress.c...user-together-again/

Posts: 163 | Location: Mississippi USA | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome news, I can't wait to see them. Not that I'll have a chance to buy one though...

One thing though, here's a quote from the end "It’s difficult to say which is the better news–the acquisition of Rigby and its restoration as a London company, or Mauser once again making real 98 actions". I thought Mauser was making real 98s now? Or do they mean just selling bare actions? If they're selling bare actions that's the seriously exciting bit!

Posts: 124 | Location: Australia - NSW | Registered: 04 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
brnomauser. I know that Mauser Jagdwaffen does make the M 98 Mauser since like 2009. But, it is now made out of a billet with a double square bridge, fantastic walnut and way over the top in retail cost. I heard $12 to $15,000 without any embellishments and non magnum calibers which incidentally run like $1,500 more. There is a number to call on the website here. No US dealers and maybe one Canadian dealer exist. ... CB http://www.mauserusa.net/Flueg...erung.76.0.html?&L=1

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5231 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
brnomauser. I know that Mauser Jagdwaffen does make the M 98 Mauser since like 2009. But, it is now made out of a billet
What do you mean made out of a billet? You mean machined from a solid piece of steel? Weren't the originals made this way?
So they are saying actions and barreled actions will be available for purchase?

Posts: 124 | Location: Australia - NSW | Registered: 04 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Yes. The Mauser Jagdwaffen M 98's actions are machined from a solid piece (billet or bar stock) of steel. Double check me, the original military and sporters were hot forged (hammer forged) into the shape and then machined to fit just like the bolts. Following the shaping, they were then surface treated (case hardened) where needed allowing the wear surfaces to resist stress while leaving the interior core rather soft to avoid the brittle properties of hardened steel. Some newer commercial Mausers are made from investment casting such as Ruger's M77. Could be others. As far as barreled actions being available for purchase from Mauser J, I doubt it. It's virtually impossible to even get a Mauser rep on the phone from the USA Texas office. I really don't know about Rigby availability. Might be a year or two before they get settled back in England.
So, it is anyone's guess if they will offer barreled actions. CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5231 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote