New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mannlicher 8x56 to 8x57.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an old Mannlicher in 8x56 and would like to get the magazine spool modified to take the more available 8x57. Has anyone done this modification?Is such a modification possible' If not, does anyone know where I can get an 8x57 magazine spool to replace the 8x56?

Posts: 151 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona  | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of igorrock
posted Hide Post
Have you tested yours Mannlicher magazine with 8x57 case ? I have had both calibers, 8x56 in MS 1908 and 8x57 in Mauser. I tested and the difference was so small that Mannlichers magazine works good with 8x57 cases. It doesn´t feed to the end because those calibers chamferings have small differences but to long enough to notice that magazine works with 8x57.

Posts: 410 | Location: Finland | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So you actually put the 8x57 cade in the rotary magazine and it Worked? I'll give it a try . I know it won't chamber of course but if it feeds reliably I can have the gun rechambered. Thanks for the tip.

Posts: 151 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona  | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot my 8 x 56 MS using cases made from new 8 x 57 Remington or Winchester brass. Trim to length after running through an 8 x 56 MS full length sizing die. Resize just enough to chamber smoothly. Works like a champ and accurate to boot.

Posts: 219 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: 03 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its just a silly millimeter! phillip!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yo Ray,
The problem is its way easier to get 8x 57 ammo than the propriatory 8x56.Even though its just a millimeter in length the Mannlicher rotary magazines are so engineered to fit specific cases that minor changes in shape make a big difference or so I'm told. I know its possible to scrounge up 8x56 ammo at gunshows and specialty shops plus making them up as Huntingcat suggested. I just have a hangup about wildcats and hard to get ammo. I much prefer a round that can be bought over the counter. Also much easier to sell in a common caliber.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The full length resized cases feed through the rotary magazine just fine if you limit the OAL of the loaded round to about 3.00 inches. A rechamber and magazine rework will cost a bunch and reduce the value of the rifle by another bunch to any collector.

Shoot it as it is or sell it off.

Posts: 219 | Location: Spring, Texas | Registered: 03 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Huntingcat. Thats exactly the info I wanted to hear.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The shoot as is advise is the best offering you've had on this thread..Locate a bunch of brass and buy it all! get some dies, and when you get bored with it, send pictures and call me. I'm as good as the next guy when it comes to screwing up collector pieces! I'll probabl rebore it to a 9x57 or 62, who knows..

Dennis Olson can do wonders with a rotary magazine, he has fixe several Savage 99s for me when the rotors were not to be found, and the worked..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yo Ray,

I called Dennis and he measured the the two rounds and figured it would be no problem. Main thing is not to get big jump in diameter size as in going from a 6.5 to an 8mm so says Dennis.