New
Find
Notify
Tools

best glue
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I seem to recall discussion on AR on which was the best epoxy glue in terms of long term adhesion (metal to metal) but I've searched and can't find the reference. Anyone point me to the link. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ozzie,
I think you'll be happy with Loctite's Black Max which you can get from Brownells or at Fastenal. It is not an epoxy but rather a cyanoacrylate "on steroids".

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hadn't considered a cyanoacrylate but the specs look good. 3750 psi shear strength rivals the best epoxies. How long does an opened 1oz bottle last. Thought if it lasts awhile I would get a larger size rather than the essentially single use tube.

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Black Max isn't cheap. I store the bottle in the freezer & it last forever. It will not freeze. I let it come to room temp before I use it.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a look see .

http://www.ellsworth.com/display/productdetail.html?productid=936&Tab=Products

If your unhappy unsure or want options left column click adhesives and whisk away too Epoxy land .

Loctite black max is also listed in there as are hundreds of others .

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
so many choices Eeker

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
The parameters of your gluing project need more elaboration for most of us reading your request to make an informed recommendation.

If I were you, I'd call the tech line at Devcon and tell them what you want to glue.

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GunMakers correct ; What is the intended purpose of metal too metal adhesion ?.

Devcon is one of the best epoxy putty manufactures out there .

Other manufacturers have WIDE ranging types depending on criteria .

MasterBond http://www.masterbond.com/ Cotronics http://www.cotronics.com/vo/cotr/

Just to name two more for references .

I have had success placing bases on collectible military rifles that don't warrant drilling

with Hysol it's TOUGH and seems unaffected by chemical washes there are others which do this

also . I've even used methyl Cyanoacrylate Adhesives for this type bonding .

Required bonding strength pliability stiffness chemical inertness gap filling set up time ?.

GUNMAKERS RIGHT !.

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several projects in mind which is why I didn't initially mention the specifics but first on the list was gluing mounts bases on an old air rifle (low power spring) that I didn't want to drill and tap or solder to. I have purchased a long weaver one piece base that matches the profile very well and provides a fairly large surface area for adhesion.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will loctite Black max hold up to boiling water? I.e., the rust blueing process?

P.S. I was at the hardware store today and the regular stuff is good to 300 deg F, and breaks loose at 500. According to the package.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote