THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    What cartridges could be built on a pre 64 .220 swift chambered action.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What cartridges could be built on a pre 64 .220 swift chambered action.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents I may have come across a pre 64 winchester rifle in .220 swift and I am just wondering what case head size this action could accomadate ?? Could it be opened up for a .375 H&H or say the .416 Taylor or will it only accomodate the .308 family of cartridges only ??

Regards PC.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 1951 vintage 220 Swift became a 7X64. I think you can use it for most any cartridge based on 30-06 case length as it stands. Anything larger is going to need some surgery.

Remember Winchester used this same length action for 22 hornet all the way up to 375 H&H. For the H&H length cases the action was relieved at the top of the rear bridge and at the front right of the ejection port, for easier ejection. The mag box was also lengthened obviously.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
PC--

You can take the angled plate out of the back of the magazine box and rebarrel to any of the 2.5" standard (.473) cartridges.

You can open the bolt face and rebarrel to any of the short magnums.

To use the long magnums the receiver will have to be milled to open the magazine opening and a new, longer magazine box fitted.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If the barrel isn't shot out, why not keep the Swift? That's a quite interesting and excellent cartridge in its own right.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If memory serves me and it has been getting foggy of late. ..................... Now where was I?............. I thought the .220 Swift was a high dollar collector in a pre 64. If so you might be better off selling it and using the funds to buy one that is cheaper and use the change for improvements, barrels etc.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought the .220 Swift was a high dollar collector in a pre 64

Chic is right don't trash the swift Ill trade you a model 70 classic 7mm magnum for it. the only thing wrong with it is the stupid DBM. Its works great I just don't like it. Bad ugly. For the same money it would take to turn the swift in to abig boomer you could replace the bottom metal an mag box. [Wink] [Wink]

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
blue tic the barrel is not the original it has been re-barrelled.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote