New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best recoil pad?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is there any appreciable difference between the current top of the line recoil pads? I have been using the kickeez for a long time but have never been satisfied with the final fit and finish. Is there anything gained by going to the limbsaver?

Posts: 107 | Location: Brentwood, CA, USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Todd,
I am a fan of the kickeze, on big heavy guns, due to the weight.. Dave (470mbogo) and Rob turned me onto the pac f990.. which is GREAT for heavy kicking guns...

I didn't like how eazy the kickeze is to tear and rip in the field..

jeffe

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff- The easy tearing is what drives me insane when Im trying to get a nice fit, wants to roll over on me and bite into the belt. If it matters it will be going on to a lightweight .308, probably another high tec specialties.

Posts: 107 | Location: Brentwood, CA, USA | Registered: 08 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the limbsaver, but I think it has the potential to tear even though I havent torn one yet. Have sims on 375 and 416 rigby. The pac 990 probably works just as good, but I don't like the white line, but the white could be made black real easy. The pac 990 will give you another 1/4 " above the others if LOP is an issue as with many of us. I just bought a pac 990 to put on one of my guns, just havent fitted it yet.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The softer pads such as Kick-EEZ and Limbsaver are nowhere near as durable as a good old Pachmayr Decellarator. Unless you don't mind replacing a Limb-Saver or Kick-EEZ relatively often I suggest the Decellarator as the best balance of recoil reduction, good looks and durability currently available......DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I'm afraid I will toss out the gauntlet..I dislike the kickeze simply because they break on rock and such if your not real carefull....

I like the Silvers or London guns, I like the little tit on them inletted into the butt, as they look good on a rifle..They are hard pads but they cover well with leather and about all a recoil pad does for me is give the gun a one inch running start at my grizzled shoulder..but rifles do not hurt my shoulder, my only recoil concern being my cheek and mostly my second knuckle with big bores..

Just my personal choice and no reflection on what anyone else likes or dislikes.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd, if those tend to tear when you are shaping them on a belt, try freezing them and then sand. Does wonders.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oops! I missed Chic's post!

Quote:

"The easy tearing is what drives me insane when Im trying to get a nice fit, wants to roll over on me and bite into the belt."

ToddC - I've been told that freezing soft recoil pads before shaping them results in a neater job. Of course, that may be easier said than done, and it doesn't prevent damage in the field.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks again for all the info. I have also tried the freezing trick but still have not been able to get the results I'm looking for.

one of us
posted Hide Post
On a .308, the Pachmeyr Decelerator will work just fine. I have them on several rifles including a .375 Taylor that weighs just 7.5 pounds. (.375x338 mag.)I also have then on a .300 Win. mag. and a .338 Win. Mag.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I like Pachmyr's Olde-English pads.

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
The other real important point to remember when sanding the soft recoil pads is, don't use too fine of belt. This will cause the tearing and melting problems. I like to use an 80 grit for getting it close, then wet sanding it on the stock to finish, but were not talking about much material being removed either.....just enough to remove the scratch marks from the course belt.

Never tried the freezing approach....have to give that a whirl next time.

Decelerator has got my vote for the most reduction in recoil, combined with ease to work with, and overall good looks.

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Count me in for the London Guns pad. I used their red pad on my 7x64. Good classic look

Posts: 371 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

"Decelerator has got my vote for the most reduction in recoil, combined with ease to work with, and overall good looks."

My sentiments, exactly.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd,

The easy tearing is what drives me insane when Im trying to get a nice fit, wants to roll over on me and bite into the belt.

If it wants to roll over and the belts starts grabbing on to it when you're working up to and over to the top, flip the stock around to your other side to keep the area you're working "low" on the belt and it won't grab and bounce violently. Works best to keep your index finger below the pad to rest it on. When you rotate the pad into the belt and you're getting up high, flip it, or raise the forend up to lower the pad or it'll turn into junk in a hurry. Are you using 80 grit? Watch the stockline into the belt, don't pay attention to the pad, and take your time.

I like the pac pad, they work great and are more durable.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I say yes. Those that are talking about the limbsaver tearing must be draggin their rifles behind their truck. I love em. And If you aint into grindin pads, go to a shop that stocks the entire line. Take your stock and check the fit of several different pads. I cut the stock off on my 300wsm. A limbsaver made for the beretta 395 fit the contour perfectly. I had to counterbore the screw holes a little and use longer screws, but the pad looks like it belongs on the rifle. I hunted that rifle hard last year and noticed no damage at all to the pad.