New
Find
Notify
Tools

photo of action that has been opened?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Someone, I think it was Belk, posted a photo of a mauser type action that had been opened and had been cut to far at the front resulting in a weakened action where the lower bolt lug locks up. I'd sure like to see that photo again and a photo of the right way to do it or a photo of it before it was opened.....sure would help in evaluating used guns!

[ 04-18-2003, 02:22: Message edited by: GonHuntin ]

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That was Jack Belk that posted it, not too long ago. IIRC, it was an FN Mauser action that had been opened up for an H&H length cartridge, maybe 375, with all length gained by cutting into the rear of the lower lug. If I could remember the name of the thread, I would post a link for you; maybe he will.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
 -

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jack......

[ 04-18-2003, 03:51: Message edited by: GonHuntin ]

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Mauser that was trashed in this manner. I was given the receiver after it was replaced on the rifle. I've sectioned the receiver and can send a photo to someone that knows how to post one. Or someone can tell me the method to post a photo. The upper lug setback about .015, rifle was a 6.5-300 Wby mag. I call it the "one lug Mauser".

Posts: 275 | Location: NW USA | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
OOOOOh, how sad! Seems like nothing behind that lug recess at all. The top edge looks like a knife blade. It's kinda like the German gunsmiths who annealed receivers to engrave them, cut a dovetail into the top of the receiver ring for a claw-mount base, then left them soft.....