New
Find
Notify
Tools

Long Range Rifle Platform
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am going to build a 6.5mmX284. I will be using a Remington 700 action (now a .280 Remington). Is that action long enough? Also, is it ok if I blueprint the action before having it rebarreled? What length barrel should I get to take full advantage of this cartridge's long range ability? I have noticed a lot of guys are using 30 - 33 inch barrels. Is that too much?

[ 08-02-2003, 17:06: Message edited by: AlanC ]

Posts: 1542 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 03 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Answer your question, yes, yes, rong barrel good, maybe not need that rong. Go www.longrangehunting.com see ord retters, beau coup GI's use this cartridge there, give you good poop. [Wink]

Posts: 374 | Location: Golden Chopstix Restaurant | Registered: 09 July 2003Reply With Quote
<Wayne McD>
posted
AlanC,
I think the long action of your 280 is a must if you want a repeater as the short action mag box won't handle the 6.5-284 with the 140gr bullets seated out where they need to be to be ideal for long range shooting. Usually you would true the action before you rebarel so that would be fine and 30" is about just right for the barrel length. This is my opinion and what I found out when I had my 6.5-284 built. Hope this helps.
Wayne

one of us
posted Hide Post
AlanC,

I guess my first question is if you want to use the rifle as a single shot or a repeater. Most dedicated long range rifles are single shots.

The 280 action has plenty of length for the 6.5-284 round with the long match bullets seated long.

Blue-printing the action is always a good idea. This process really only make sure the action/receiver is in perfect square. Basically it is all centered around the receiver threads. Once these are cut true, then the receiver face is cut square in respect to the threads.

The locking lugs and recesses should also be cleaned up as well as the bolt nose, especially in a M700. Once the Receiver is tured, the barrel, if fitted correctly will shoot vey accurately, or at least as accurate as it can.

The barrel is a personal thing again depending on how you will be using the rifle. If you plan on using it as a long range hunting firearm at all, then I would go with a medium contour 28" barrel and if it were mine, I would flute the barrel for added rigidness over the long length.

If this will be a target/bench rifle only, go with a 30" barrel of heavy contour. With the M700, be sure to bed the rifle with a good barrel bed to support the weight of the barrel and take the strain off the action.

I have been using a Win M70 fitted with a 30" #7 Lilja barrel and chambered in 6mm-284. This barrel is cut with a 1-8" twist and I shoot the 107 gr MK's in it at a toned down 3430 fps. I say toned down because the rifle will drive them to a full 3600 fps with max pressures but accuracy at 3430 fps is a slight bit better and the barrel/brass will last much longer. Last weekend I harvested on a chuck at 1055 yards with a single shot fired.

The 6.5-284 is a much more efficient round then the 6mm-284. In my opinion, the 155 gr MK would be the bullet I would build a 6.5-284 around. It is a grand bullet that will perform very well at extreme range. Because of the higher efficency or the round, there really is no need for a barrel longer then 30", and 28" would get you very close to the rounds top performance levels.

One last thing, purchase an after market recoil lug designed for this type of rifle. I would recommend the Holland .250" design. They are thicker, stronger and surface ground for perfect surfaces on both sides, no need for any machining or lapping for a perfect fit as long as the receiver is true and the barrel shoulder is cut correctly.

Hope this helps some, let us know how your rifle turns out.

Good Shooting!!!

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote