Find
Notify
Tools

Tighten Mauser Receiver
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted
Does anyone have a good method to tighten up a loose bolt hole in the bridge? I have one that is bigger than normal and I have read about various methods but I have never done one.

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
The heat and squish method works. You need to make a fixture to hold the receiver and then supply enough clamping force to squish the bridge down a smidge. A mandrel keeps the bolt bore from getting too small.

Alternately, you cut the bridge off and weld a new one on. Then recut the bolt bore to the desired size. Not a bad way to go if you also want to add a square bridge.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4864 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Weld some bumps on your bolt and turn them to fit. Another way is to cut a groove at front and back of bolt then silver solder an oversize ring around it. Turn that to fit receiver hole.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have made bolt rings for m700s, but it makes the bolt operation not smooth. I have heard of the heat and squash method and I think I will try that. I thought of making a whole new bridge; actually that might be easier than making the square bridge (which I have done) and welding that on. Thanks for the suggestions; all good food for thought.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brownells has oversize 6-48 kits that may do the trick. Call theit tech.
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of xs headspace
posted Hide Post
What??? Not the scope screws, the bolt! I had an FN Mauser that was loose in the bridge, would bind at full rear position, didn't have the guts to do the heat and squash-sold it.

Hippie redneck geezer

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Oversize scope screws??? What?
I welded plugs into the clip guides of two yesterday and neither tightened up; but I have had them do that as you said they sometimes will. But not when I needed one to shrink.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The very first square bridge I did, the bridge tightened way up. I couldn't even get a bolt in. I re-bored and cut the bolt ways. Nice tight fit.

I did not view it as a blessing, however.

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, me too; the amount of welding required for a SB definitely tightened it up; I have only done one. Mine did not require re-boring; a bit of lapping worked. 09 Arg.