New
Find
Notify
Tools

I am looking for a souce of Horn
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking to add some horn forend tips to a couple of rifles and maybe new caps or butt plates. Does anyone have a resource for these items?
Thanks for the help.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6490 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Martinez:
Looking to add some horn forend tips to a couple of rifles and maybe new caps or butt plates. Does anyone have a resource for these items?
Thanks for the help.
Frank

If I remember correctly I saw some in Brownell's 2008 catalog. I don't have a current catalog

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank, look at this site. They are in houston, and have had horn blocks when I was in last. Give them a call. Bob

http://www.texasknife.com/vcom/index.php

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can folks post their source for horn. I've tried several knife manufactures and solid black buffalo horn large engough for a tip is tough to find. I need 3 pieces for custom stock so if some needs a custom order let me know and I'll go in with them. Min size 1.5 x 1.5 x 1.75" long . Ron

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Jeff's Outfitters

Jeff has semi-shaped horn butt plates for $30. If you call he may be able to find blocks for tips.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Midwayusa.com has buttplates from Galazans

Posts: 817 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just an FYI about working with horn from the guys at the double gun forum. Apparently the dust from unsterilized horn can cause severe respiratory problems. If I remember correctly some kind of virus may be present and can do some nasty things when inhaled. This is not always true but a possibility.

Make sure the horn you buy is clean and sterilized.

Rob

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the leads. I am set with the horn and even found some items I had not been looking for.
I always use a cartridge mask when working with any grinding or sawing of any items. Learned long ago when working with Abalone jewelry and serpentine or soapstone that the dust is toxic as are many hardwoods.

Thanks again.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank...what size horn did you get and from where. I've asked this question a couple times now, contacted two knife suppliers and all they came up with were small unusable pieces.

Any good source of solid black 1.75"x1.75x 2" long would be appreciated. I've got 3 projects that need horn tips.

Thanks,

Ron

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to know also, would like to make a one piece grip for an SAA.

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I actually found 3 pieces semi dark but brown. A local guy had some he had from long ago. They are 2x2.5x3 and I think they will fit the forends for the two single shots I am re-stocking. Don't know for sure.
I am reading all I can right now to see if I can manage to do it myself.

Frank