New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Wood patch for stock blanks???? Help Please
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
That is exactly the kind of flaw I have in a stock. I used a dental pick to get the stuff out, which was not pushed very far into the void. Then I found a 'delayed set' gel superglue, which I thinned a bit and poured in to fill any internal void. Finally, I dyed some acraglass with a bit of ebony and walnut dust, and put it on into the remaining void, with a bit more over the top. File flush, sand, and you're done.

Bill Soverns (who does a darn nice job) just checkered over it, as it was on the forearm, and it is now completely hidden.

Now when I order stocks from Henry, I specifically ask that they NOT fill any voids.

Best,
Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone!

Terry

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi TC1, that is a beautiful piece of wood. How much did it cost you, if you don't mind me asking? Rojelio.

Posts: 495 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 13 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Hi TC1, that is a beautiful piece of wood. How much did it cost you, if you don't mind me asking? Rojelio.

I paid $450 for the stock. It started out at $350, then I added I added a ebony forend tip $45, drop box configuration and raised panels for the sling swivels added another $55.

Terry

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TC1,
As Bill said, fill it with wood from the stock. If a pad is going on that rifle, select some colored the same and cut a shape to fit the hole when you get it cleaned. If you put in colored epoxy , it will look like patch. If you fill it with wood it will look like a normal blank.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would ship it back, its an inferior piece of wood, depending on what you paid for it of course, but it looks expensive or would be without the flaw....

You never really know where that imperfection goes, it may be much deeper than you suspect, it may have rot inside. I have seen one that you could blow smoke in the butt flaw and it would came out in a knot in the forend....Patching is at best a poor solution as the patch will swell and pop out the finish in time

Thats my opinnion, why buy a sick horse...too many good ones out there.

Posts: 41980 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TC1,
Most stock blank suppliers will expect you to fix a defect before sending it back. If it is fixable and is not horrendous they do not give a refund. I expect that GAG either priced this as a slight defect or should have. The patch will pop out or swell only if you do not have a clue on how to do the repair. Use epoxy to glue it in. Simple solution but do use some wood from the butt to match.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote