New
Find
Notify
Tools

Correct stock butt angle...?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm in the process of fitting a new recoil pad to a pre-64 Win Model 70 (don't worry it already has been cut a little) and was curious as to what you all thought was the "proper" angle for the butt?

This stock has been cut, so I don't know how far from original it is, but the butt angle is not perpenducular to the bore. The heel is further back than the toe. Not by much but enough to be noticeable. I would guess it is a bit under 10 degrees off.

So, I was just about to square it up ( I have enough wood to work with) and thought I would post here to gather some opinions first.

Seems to me that if it were square, it would handle recoil a bit better....in theory anyway.

This is a Monte Carlo stock by the way

Thoughts..??

TIA,

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure this is a "one size fits all", but most of mine have a pitch angle of about 4 degrees.

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
Bob, your chest shape will dictate what particular pitch you stock should have.
I have a reasonable sized chest muscle mass and find a negative pitch of 3 - 5 degrees works best. Negative pitch is where the heel is further back than the toe and gives full contact with shoulder pocket (cast off on the toe also heles with this, on top of the cast off on the heeel where required). Positive pitch is where the toe is further back than the heel and is more suited to a slim chested person or someone who habitually leans forward when shooting which has an effect on the contact of the full depth of the butt.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2687 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
VonGruff,
Thankyou very much for that explanation. Now that I see it, it makes sense. I have a weightlifters build and now I can cut my stocks properly for my body type.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

Thank you very much for the input!

I modified the stock to have a pitch of about 5 degrees. It was about 10 before.

We will see, but I think this will fit me better.

Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
83 - 84 degrees (or 6 to 7 degrees, if you prefer).

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote