New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scoping a Ross M-1910
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have had a Ross M-1910 for a number of years, but so far have never shot it. The stumbling block is lack of sighting equipment to take advantage of the long range potential of the .280 Ross cartridge.

Can anyone recommend a gunsmith who can install scope bases like THIS on my rifle?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is your rifle in original condition? If it is you may want to consider the effect on value your alteration may cause. You could be spending $100 to convert a $800 rifle into a $150 rifle.

If not original or restorable then have at it. A 'smith with proper equipment could easily install Leupold bases. You just need to find a set that match the front and rear receiver heights. There are many 'smiths here and one may pipe in.

Posts: 3786 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Bob is right, of course. I could, but wouldn't, if it is an original collectable rifle.

Posts: 17286 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
Every time I see you MERCANs quote a price I almost jump out of my skin and want to start hitting you. I charge $150 for drill & tap but then I realize that the Canadian peso is only worth .75 cents USD and then world settles back down to normal again.

For whatever the reason. Those Ross rifles are worth a lot to collectors. I have seen 280s sell for $1500 in good, original condition on Guns America and Gunbroker. I just looked on Gunbroker and there is one selling for $999. We Canadians would never pay more than $15 for one of course. We made the fool things. We know better !

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/559193685

popcorn

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Firstly, I have had my rifle for years, and I paid for it no where near the prices now shown on Guns International or other web sites.

Secondly, I don't consider it a collector's item. I recently sold a Mauser Typ S in 9X57 for close to $5000 because it was not scoped and I can't shoot with iron sights.

Thirdly, I am a shooter, not a collector. I have owned rifles in the past which I considered too nice to shoot and I have deliberately divested myself of them for that very reason.

I don't consider the Ross to be in that category. It just doesn't stack up with the Wundhammer, Hoffman Arms, Niedner, and Al Biesen rifles I have owned but would never consider altering. A mass produced factory product just doesn't compete with those hand crafted rifles.

If a gunsmith refuses to do a job he doesn't approve of, I respect that. Please don't dictate to me what my attitude should be. If someone else is willing to help me out, PM me. I will keep it a secret.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thirdly, I am a shooter, not a collector. I have owned rifles in the past which I considered too nice to shoot and I have deliberately divested myself of them for that very reason.

I agree 100 percent one changes firearms to suit the owner want not what someone else thinks.

Posts: 19612 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of speerchucker30x378
posted Hide Post
I don't think any of the gunsmiths who frequent this forum turn much of anything away as long as they can make money doing it. Like me, they do however tell people when something may not be economically feasible, unsafe or if it may lead to some form of destruction. Whether physically or from a financial aspect. If you don't make people aware of these things, it can come back to haunt you. After that, the customer is always right.

When I was a kid. I had the stick. I had the rock. And I had the mud puddle. I am as adept with them today, as I was back then. Lets see today's kids say that about their IPods, IPads and XBoxes in 45 years!
Rod Henrickson

Posts: 2542 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada | Registered: 05 June 2005Reply With Quote