Find
Notify
Tools

Convert M85 to .250Sav
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted
I have been extremely unlucky in finding a Left Hand M85 mini-mauser in .22-250 to convert to .250 Savage. Did this a few years ago on a gun for my granddaughter and now want one for me. My local gunsmith does not want to try to convert a .223 rifle to .250 because of the bolt face. Does anyone out there know of a gunsmith who works on mini-mausers? Or, even better, knows of one for sale in .22-250?

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Have you checked with Kevin Weaver he is just east of the springs and works on mini mausers and a great guy.
719-683-3024
or his website
www.weaverrifles.com

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Snellstrom: Will Do! Thanks for your reply.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prof242:
I have been extremely unlucky in finding a Left Hand M85 mini-mauser in .22-250 to convert to .250 Savage. Did this a few years ago on a gun for my granddaughter and now want one for me. My local gunsmith does not want to try to convert a .223 rifle to .250 because of the bolt face. Does anyone out there know of a gunsmith who works on mini-mausers? Or, even better, knows of one for sale in .22-250?

Dave at IT&D Gunsmithing had some of the Charles Daly LH actions. How heavy a bullet can you load in a
Mini Mauser converted to 250 Savage awfull short magazine in them. I got a Zastava LH Mini Mauser in 223 last order. And like it.

Thought about the LH Zastava 22-250 Had inquired about converting one to 250 Savage but OAL of 250 cartridege and bullets would be limited in the Mini. It did not sound very feasible with bullets of 100gr
and above.

kk alaska

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kk alaska:

Thought about the LH Zastava 22-250 Had inquired about converting one to 250 Savage but OAL of 250 cartridege and bullets would be limited in the Mini. It did not sound very feasible with bullets of 100gr
and above.

The max Saami OAL for the 250 savage is 2.515". In the following post the author (Von Gruff) opened up the action as far as possible to the rear to allow an inside magazine length of 2.475":

http://forums.accuratereloadin...1019521/m/4051006481

I'm no sure, but I think You need at least .02 to .03" extra mag length to make up for cartridge tilt. You might ask Von Gruff or another knowledgable smith if it is safe or even doable to take some metal out of the feed ramp. If so you might be able to get your mini to be able to use full length 250 Savage rounds. Good luck!
Matt

You might investigate a faster than 1 in 10" twist for the 250 savage with todays long bullets.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3293 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a .250 Savage on a Mini that Kevin Weaver built. I bought it for my daughter to use for her first big game rifle. When I talked to Kevin about it he said I couldn't use 100 grain mono metal or spitzers heavier than 100 grains out of it unless I was going to run them single shot. Kevin said it will feed the 117 grain RN from Hornady if I needed a heavier bullet.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to load anything for this rifle as everything I own is packed up in storage as we were trying to sell our house. I just need to go and pick up some factory ammunition and see how the rifle shoots. However, knowing Kevin the rifle shoots far better than I do.

I do know that he opened up the magazine and moved it as far back as he could, as well as moving the bolt stop. He changed the floor plate release to the trigger guard bow as well. I'll probably have a new follower maded for the rifle eventually as the original follwer is being used and it has gaps now that the magazine is larger. The only thing I don't like about the rifle is the small bolt handle, however it fits my daughter just fine.

K-Var Corp has the LH 7.62X39 M85 as well. It might be easier to open the bolt face since less metal overall will have to be removed. However, I don't know if that will make any real difference to the GS doing the work.

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Just talked to Kevin Weaver. He said that, due to the extractor on the bolt face, he could not convert a .223 to the .250 Savage. All the ones he did were originally .22-250s. Kevin did say that the .250 Sav on the mini-mauser was a real sleeper. The 100gr bullet I wanted to use would be no problem.

Also talked to IT&D. They have never seen one of the left-hand .22-250 actions even though they know this action/rifle exists.
Thanks for everyones' help.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member