New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mosin-Nagant Shank Dimensions?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anybody know the barrel shank dimensions for Mosin-Nagant rifles?

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What do you mean by "Shank"?
The threads are .977" V 60 degrees 16 TPI.
[IMG]http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=126141 [/IMG]

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=126141

[ 07-21-2003, 03:30: Message edited by: Clark ]

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your reply....

Question came up, because I have a Mosin M38 that is beautiful on the outside, but with a .316" bore. Putting a nice, custome barrel on it is out of the question, but the thought flitted through my mind that if I could find a take-off 308 Remington barrel, I could have it threaded and rechambered for the Mosin pretty cheap. A Mosington? :-)

Maybe I didn't use the right word, but I was referring to the length and OD of the threaded portion of the barrel.

Thanks for the info!

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shank length is ~.93", but the distance from the bolt face to the reciever ring is 1.000".

The later reciever you have will not have an inner stop ring.

I put a Shilen barrel on one. [IMG]http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=135114 [/IMG]

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=135114

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not quite understanding....

Are you saying that the Remington barrel cannot be re-cut to fit the Mosin receiver? I know some barrels reference to the front of the receiver, and that others, like the Mauser, reference to a point inside the receiver. Or are you just saying that the barrel references to the front of the receiver, since there is no internal stop ring? I don't think it would hurt anything to cut another .070" of material away, forward of the existing threads, to make a longer shank, if that's what it takes.

This has got to work.... too perfect a solution... an M38 that is as accurate as my Finn M39's, looks like a garden variety Russian M38, and is still pretty cheap.

How did your target barrel work out? Interesting pix.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are you saying that the Remington barrel cannot be re-cut to fit the Mosin receiver?
I don't know.
It would depend on the Remington barrel.
The Mosin reciver face is 1.234" OD, and 1.001" ID, and the barrel must be big enough in diameter to make a shoulder meet that face.

My project only went to the range once, and the 452/70 wildcat did not benefit from no reamer and no dies. A 6" group was all I could get with 230 gr FMJ Montana Gold bullet and 56 gr Re7.

The same bullet with the same barrel blank in 45acp on a Mauser action can get much better groups with 14 gr AA#5, but not near the recoil.

I think your benchmark is a good one. Look what the Finns did with that action.

Alot of people used to turn their noses up at the Mosin action, and selling the rifles at a gun show was difficult at $50. In the passed couple years I have seen them start to move and the prices are going up.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll check the OD tomorrow.... pretty sure it is OK. The Remington threads are 1 1/16", so there is plenty to work with.

Once you cross the threshold of getting a Rem take-off, you can imagine all kinds of things. A 308 would be first choice, but a 270 or 284 bullet in front of a Russian case would be an entertaining combination. Ackley made quite a point of showing that the 270 is overbore, and performs practically as well with a 308 case behind it. The 7.62x54R has a bit more case capacity than the 308.... imagine a 243 in that configuration..... Hmmmmmmmm.

Usta could get Rems for $40, unfired.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A poster from Finland said that it was illegal to hunt with the 7.62x53R cartridge, because they didn't want people shooting up the military ammo. The rifles were available in spades to the population, and so gunsmiths have converted them to many calibers.

For .308 he said they cut the extrator relief deeper into the bolt head.

I found the bolt head quite machinable when I opened the face up and deepened the face for the big thick rim of 45/70 brass.
One nice thing about the removable bolt head, is that it is easy to get ahold of in a mill vice or lathe chuck. Try that with a Mauser boltSmiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now THERE'S a plan.... convert the M38 to a manly caliber!! My mind was so busy with the 30 calilber option that I hadn't considered the 45/70, also a rimmed cartridge. Now that would be a hoot! The only kid at the range with a Mosin that makes 45 cal holes!