New
Find
Notify
Tools

caliber conversion advice needed
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i am going to have a Model 70 30-06 converted to a 9.3x62. i need some advice.

1. who would you recommend to do a turnkey job?

2. if i am to supply the barrel, who would you recommend as the barrel supplier and what manufacturer?

3. one gunsmith i spoke to told me he would need a reamer. i hate to buy one of these and then be stuck with it. is there any market for this thing after the job is done?

4. can a reamer be rented?

5. do i need to buy a headspace gauge or can a 30-06 gauge be used?

6. i have not looked really hard, but i did see that Pac-Nor makes these barrels. is Pac-Nor a good barrel?

i sure appreciate any advice you guys can give me on this.

many thanx...........

Posts: 466 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 20 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If a gunsmith does not have access to the reamer, that means he has never done the conversion before. Find someone who has.

I usually let the smith obtain the parts. That way he is totally responsible for the performance of the rifle. You can specify a preference, but let him obtain them.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack Belk, John Ricks, Dennis Olson or Jim Brockman, all can do you an excellent and most of them post right here on AR, all have done metal work for me...All of them normally use Lothar Walther barrels...Thats the only barrels I use these days.

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote