New
Find
Notify
Tools

45 ACP to 45 SUPER
 Login/Join

<9.3x62>
posted
I've got a Springfield longslide (currently 45 ACP) that I'd like to convert to 45 Super. Springfield tells me this is fine to do, but that it requires various parts like new recoil and firing pin springs. Any "best" kits for this conversion out there? Any issues to watch out for? Thanks.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9.3x62:
I've got a Springfield longslide (currently 45 ACP) that I'd like to convert to 45 Super. Springfield tells me this is fine to do, but that it requires various parts like new recoil and firing pin springs. Any "best" kits for this conversion out there? Any issues to watch out for? Thanks.

I installed a 26# Wolf recoil spring and the matching firing pin spring in my Colt Gold Cup so I could use hot loads in it. My load uses cut-down .45 Win. Mag. brass and HS6 to get a MV of 1100 FPS from 230-grain Hoirnady XTP's..... From 5" barrel.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As you already know, the 45 Super is simply the 45 ACP case kept at it's nominal (full) length, and loaded to higher pressures.
All you need to make it work is stronger springs.
Wolff makes springs just for this, and will help you pick the right ones.
Also, you might consider one of the recoil "buffer" systems, to help prevent wear and cracking of the frame.

An easy (well, semi-easy) to make strong cases is to cut down 308 Winchester brass on your bandsaw, and then finish in a trim die (with a file. You then need to inside neck ream the formed case with a .449 reamer. Forster makes one for this (or they used to anyway).

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Thanks for the replies.

Tell me more about these recoil buffering systems, I've not heard about them, but they sound like a good idea. Is "Fire Dragon" one choice?

I was just going to use Buffalo Bore factory ammo and/or just buy Starline 45 Super brass for $17/100.

Also, am I correct in that the heavier firing spring can be used for standard 45 and 45 Super, but that I will have to swap recoil springs to switch between standard 45 and 45 Super.

Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best info I found was in realguns archive 45 Super conversion parts I, II, and III.
http://www.realguns.com/

I was so inspired that I bought a 20 ounce Patriot in May 2000, made a 42 pound triple recoil spring assembly, and worked up to 460 Rowland with standard 45acp brass

0) 45 acp................. 185 gr. 7.6 gr. AA#5 jams w/stock Patriot spring
1) 45 acp..................185 gr. 10.2 gr. AA#5 1100 fps 18,000psi
2) 45 acp +P.............185 gr. 10.8 gr. AA#5 1200 fps 21,700 psi
3) 45 Super...............185 gr. 12.4 gr. AA#5 1312 fps 28,000 cup
4) 460 Rowland........ 185 gr. 14.5 gr. AA#5 1500 fps 38,800 cup

That pistol designed by Dr. Nehemiah Sirkis is now made by Cobra

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I plan on building one shortly as well. Read the realguns.com write up carefully, as there is one important thing that hasnt been mentioned yet. You CAN NOT use 45ACP+P brass, you must either cut down 45 Win Mag or buy the Starline 45 Super brass. It has a much thicker web to handle the pressures.

Posts: 356 | Location: Lansing, MI | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott:
I plan on building one shortly as well. Read the realguns.com write up carefully, as there is one important thing that hasnt been mentioned yet. You CAN NOT use 45ACP+P brass, you must either cut down 45 Win Mag or buy the Starline 45 Super brass. It has a much thicker web to handle the pressures.

460 Roland, 45 Super, and most all other 45acp brass has the exact same strength around the primer. The big exception is the Starline +P 45acp brass that has thicker case walls [not primer pocket walls]. I called the man at Starline, and he says the +P is for guns with poor case support. The web of 45acp brass is all about .180". I don't know what kind of batch of 45 Super brass Joe D'Alessandro got back in 1999 or how he measured it or kept it straight, but I have never chosen to challenge his realguns web site on that issue.

What does it all mean?
If you have the case support, use any brass but +P
If you don't have the case support to or close to .180", use the Starline +P.

I have been shooting 45 Super loads* in a Para Ord P10 warthog type pistol with very poor case support: .235", and the way I get away with it is with Starline +P brass.

*Para Ord P10 45acp 3.16" barrel National Bullet 152 gr. Copperized lead semi wad cutter, 12 gr. Power Pistol, 1.275" OAL, Lee factory crimp. 1226 fps, 1257 fps, don't try this with 45 Super brass or it will blow the grips off and cut you.

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
That thing must look like an H-bomb going off when you pull the trigger!

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 20 ounce Patriot with 460 Rowland loads and stock spring kicked so hard that I developed a flinch. I punched my shoulder forward with every shot of ANY handgun. The 42 pound spring assembly fixed that, but now few men have the grip to chamber a round in that pistol. I put the grip in my left hand, slide in my right, and pull across my chest to chamber a round.