Find
Notify
Tools

any problems with turning a 45/70 into a 45/120
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of urdubob
posted
Can i run a chamber reamer into a single shot sharps 45/70 to turn it into a 45/120.

My signature line is not ment to stur up any trouble in here...it's just for the african big game forum.

urdubob

Posts: 945 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
urdubob,I have two 120's both built on the roling block actions,that had to have the hammer modified
to work well.Look at my Sharpes it dosen't appear there would be a problem in that area,
Are you sure you want to go to the 120? the 110 or 90 lenght is more accurate.And in my experince the 120 needs a little extra weight,120 grains of FFg is pretty impressive.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Urdubob,
I did this very rechambering to a Kodiak MkIV 45-70 doublr rifle. I think in a Sharps you would have no issues whatsoever.

TEG

Posts: 292 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 July 2002Reply With Quote
<KBGuns>
posted
Oh, nevermind...

Kristofer [Cool]

[ 10-31-2002, 03:42: Message edited by: KBGuns ]

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Urdubob,

Is this going to be your stopping rifle? [Smile]

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of urdubob
posted Hide Post
No mark,

I'll use the 450 nitro express or my 416 rigby..
I do like to try long range action shooting.

urdubob

Posts: 945 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Urdubob,

Why not just rechamber to 450 NE 3.25"? That way you would only have to reload one round.

TEG

[ 10-31-2002, 05:12: Message edited by: TEG ]

Posts: 292 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urdubob:
Can i run a chamber reamer into a single shot sharps 45/70 to turn it into a 45/120.

My signature line is not ment to stur up any trouble in here...it's just for the african big game forum.

urdubob

Just curious... whats the advantage of having a 45-120 paddle? Or a 45-120 set of shooting sticks? [Big Grin] ~~~Suluuq

[ 10-31-2002, 12:15: Message edited by: Rusty Gunn ]

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote
<577 Robert>
posted
Hi Urdubo

It totally depends on the manufactor of your 1874 Sharps rifle, if the conversion is completed by only running the longer reamer ( 45 - 3 � “ ) through your chamber or not. If you have a Pedersoli Sharps, the loading rail ( don’t know if that is the correct term ) is to small and you have to open it with a dremel tool or a half round diamond file to insert the long cartridges in the chamber. Because of the sidelock cutout, this is on the right side of the radius a very tricky thing, because the amount of material between this side and the opening for the sidelock is very thin. If you are working to quick it can happen that you get a hole and you have to weld the inside of the sidelock opening to close the small spot. I have convert a .45-70 to .45 - 2 7/8 “ and could do it without welding, because I was aware on the problem. With Shiloh 1874 Sharps rifles this problem does to my knowledge not exist, because they have a bigger opening.
Regards
Robert

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urdubob:

You seem to be an upstanding type, so I will "advise" you that, before proceeding with this idea of yours, you visit the nearest BPCR match and politely ask everyone there about doing this. ALSO (!!!), if anyone has a .45-110 or a .45-120... by all means, ask to shoot one. I'm QUITE sure they'll let you. (We shooters are awfully obliging to other shooters, as you know.)

That's all I'm going to say. I'd recommend talking to the guys who use these things ALL THE TIME and I'd sure go out of my way to shoot a few of them, "FIRST."

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Oh... by the way... "Quigley Down Under?" That Sharps in .45-110" of his? The bucket-shooting scene?

Those were LIGHT loads.

You've been warned.

Godspeed.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave James:
urdubob,I have two 120's both built on the roling block actions,that had to have the hammer modified
to work well.Look at my Sharpes it dosen't appear there would be a problem in that area,
Are you sure you want to go to the 120? the 110 or 90 lenght is more accurate.And in my experince the 120 needs a little extra weight,120 grains of FFg is pretty impressive.

I have to agree with your comments on (case) length and (gun) weight. I had my roller changed from .45 2-2/10" to .45 2-4/10"... no problem shooting, good gun weight for the round.

My Sharps, on the other hand, is a featherweight compared to my roller. I'm quite happy leaving it in .45 2-2/10".

Just went to Redmond's in Kewanee, IL, last Saturday, and picked up a LOT of black. Neat guy. Quite a character. Blows up beaver dams with dynamite for a living -- powder is more of a "major sideline" with him. Anyway, I'm set for black for the rest of my life, I think.

Oh... priced Goex lately? They had another plant blow up. It's $16 a pound now. Elephant is priced VERY attractively, my buddy and I got ours (a mixed case of ffg and fffg) for $5.28 a pound.

Russ

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave James:
Are you sure you want to go to the 120? the 110 or 90 lenght is more accurate.

By the way, Urdubob, Dave is right.

And have you priced dies? Brass? HAHAHAHAHA!!!

You can get extruded .45-70 Gov't. brass -- cheap -- to use for your .45 2-4/10" loads, and get dies pretty cheaply from Lyman. Anything longer, you'd better be rich.

Russ

[ 11-01-2002, 04:56: Message edited by: Russell E. Taylor ]