New
Find
Notify
Tools

Choking a turkey gun
 Login/Join

Picture of Mark
posted
Well my son wants to go turkey hunting this spring, so I'm thinking about a turkey gun for him.

I have pretty much decided to use a single shot 20 guage, such as an H&R or NEF. If I come across a deal on an 870 or 500 I might go that way, but I like the idea of only one shot. I'll put a scope on it.

Has anyone ever constricted the choke on a shotgun? I've never done anything remotely comparable and am wondering what my options are.

I was thinking about threading it for a screw in choke tube, and the thought occurred to my that it would be simpler just to turn the threads off the tube and bore out the end of the barrel, and silver solder the tube in. Or can the barrel just be swaged or knurled somehow?

since I've never done much shotgun work any suggestions are appreciated here.

TIA
Mark

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I come across a deal on an 870 or 500 I might go that way, but I like the idea of only one shot.

So, get yourself an 870 or 500, and load one round in it. Big Grin But if you're still set on a single shot design, Brownells offers a "solder on" choke sleeve that should do what you need.

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
The shotguns with readily available screw in tubes will save you time and produce good patterns. Threading will give you versatility. The pump guns will be easier to mount scopes as I believe it is neccessary to silver sodder mounts on the single shots. I glassed rifle sights on my spring gobbler single.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My plan is to find an old beater 870, my son loves mine. Sit down with my boy and clean it up and do a rebuild.New shell latches springs what ever. We get a project and quality time. He gets a gun that he will keep long after I am gone. I found an old 22 that I had inherited years ago. It was in bad shape then. 20 years of my dad's attic did it no justice. We cleaned it, cold blue it and refinshed the stock. Gun shoots well, nothing to look at but he loves it. Keeps him interested in shooting and off the X-box. Just my 2 cents. The used route might be worth a whole lot more in the long run.

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
If your son can handle it, pick up an older SxS 20 ga that has full chokes in both barrels (if they made Full & full in 20 ga, I'm not sure)with a solid rib.
Drill and tap for a mount and install a electronic red dot sight.
Just add camo tape. clap
Two quick shots and no worry about pumpin' a 2nd shot.

OK, it's not for everyone but SxS shotguns are so fun!!!!!!!

I did it with an old Richland 12 ga SxS and it has served me well for waterfowl and turkey.

(the red dot sight is a little weird on ducks, but.......!!) Roll Eyes

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote